Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just returned to Ireland after 16 years...cost of living questions

Options
  • 26-07-2020 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

So grateful to have found boards.ie. Everyone has been really helpful. Big thanks.

I'm a returning emigrant...been away 16 years and only returned on visits in that time.

I'm a teacher and I'm back for a year or 2. I'll be living on my savings and will hopefully get a few days subbing each month to supplement.

Question I have is regarding the cost of living.

I'm paying myself an allowance of 1500 Euros a month to live on.

Rent is 550 Euros a month (family discount) Leaving 950 Euros a month for ESB bills, gym, phone, Netflix, Diesel for car, groceries etc

Is this realistic? Or do I need to completely overhaul my budget?

I'm in Cork by the way, not Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Would be interested in the replies. I'm abroad currently, and if I come back, will be looking at Cork. (I'm not from there)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I think it's plenty.

ESB bills - very variable, depends on the property and your usage. €100 a month for the budget should be ok.
    Gym - standard is between €30 - €60 per month.
    Phone - standard is between €20 - €60 per month - €20 is plenty if you don't need a phone on contract.
    Netflix - €15 a month (depending on what type of account)
    Diesel for car - depends how much you're driving? Say €75 a month if you're not working.
    Groceries - €250 per person per month.

That comes to around €650 a month using the higher end of the estimates. Plenty of wiggle room for higher bills and some nice extras.

Unless broadband is included in your rent you'll have to include that as well. Mine is 43 a month with digiweb.

48.ie have a deal on a rolling mobile contract for 9.99 a month.

I would struggle on 250 a month on groceries tbh.

Will you be house sharing or living alone?

Advertisement