Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof question

Options
  • 26-07-2020 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

How long can roof timber be exposed to the elements before it should be felted and slated?

6 months or longer?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

teednab-el wrote: »
    How long can roof timber be exposed to the elements before it should be felted and slated?

6 months or longer?

Thanks

Would have said less.

I’ve had timer removed from sites that were left exposed during the Covid lockdown.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Gumbo wrote: »
    Would have said less.

I’ve had timer removed from sites that were left exposed during the Covid lockdown.

Really? What kind of timber?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Gumbo wrote: »
    Would have said less.

How long can roof timber be left exposed on house?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bagels4me

6 months or longer?

Thanks
    I wouldn't want it exposed that long, it's going to be constantly getting wet and drying out
    At least get it felted asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Bagels4me wrote: »
    I wouldn't want it exposed that long, it's going to be constantly getting wet and drying out
    At least get it felted asap

I thought that myself but some people including an engineer who works for a builder told me they are fine for months. Didn't give timeline with that. I didn't agree with that myself but open to correction. 90% of house was felted but 10% wasn't and that 10% has been exposed just over 5 months now. I am concerned about it but like to see what people think or advise here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Def_IRL

OSB boards in particular are not ideal for outdoor exposure they retain moisture and swell quite quickly after only a few good soakings.
    Most 'marine' ply sold here in our builders providers are also not proper marine ply (certainly not up to BS1088 standards) and tends to delaminate over time after extended exposure to the elements.

I thought that myself but some people including an engineer who works for a builder told me they are fine for months. Didn't give timeline with that. I didn't agree with that myself but open to correction. 90% of house was felted but 10% wasn't and that 10% has been exposed just over 5 months now. I am concerned about it but like to see what people think or advise here.

Advertisement