Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Not improving in driving lessons

Options
  • 24-07-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, so I started doing my driving lessons recently, and I have done 5 so far. I am doing it with 2 different instructors as I travel between home and accommodation in Galway City.

Back home I fly through the lessons as it's just a small town with no big obstacles or manoeuvres, however in the city when I do my lessons and drive in traffic, I guess the stress makes me do stupid things. I forget to watch the mirrors before I indicate, my road placement is all over the place (I think because the roads are much wider)

The only improvement I've seen in myself is that I don't stall as much, but other than that I feel like I'm just stuck in the same spot. Terrified of parking, reverse/forward bay parking, and all the things you would want to be good at to pass the test.

I have a car, given to me by my mam, and I was wondering whether it would be better to let it sit until I pass my test, or get insured and practice when I can, or finish all my lessons and do more on top. Has anyone advice for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

all it needs is loads of practice. 5 lessons is nothing. relax and concentrate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

As said above practice makes perfect, easier said than done I know but try not stress out over conking and such we have all been there and other drivers are always impatient to say the least, just keep at it you will get there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You know you've an issue with observation, at 5 lessons in, I'd expect the instructors to still be guiding you through it, especially when you find yourself between two very different environments. When I was learning, my aim was to gradually have the instructor prompt me less on it. I'd suggest making sure both instructors are aware if this concern you have of yourself. They'll help you with it.

With regards to the car. Only drive it if you've someone to accompany you. If you can arrange the same person regularly, get them listed as a named driver on the insurance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Imagine your first day at work in a new job. After 5hrs in you’ve just finished your lunch. Would you expect to be an expert at the new job at that stage?

Take your time, you’re expecting far too much of yourself. 12 lessons alone, from scratch, are rarely if ever enough to pass the test. Putting undue pressure on yourself can be counterproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Ive had about 20 lessons and still feel like this, its like one step forward 10 steps back, it's very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Take your time. Get as much practice in as you can after each lesson. Go to an empty car park or similar if you can. One day everything will just click. There are some good Youtube videos on learning too.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

5 lessons is nothing! I had far more lessons than that under my belt and I was still sweating at the thought of getting behind the wheel again.

At your point you should just be getting comfortable being in a car, starting to connect all the steps so that there's gradually more flow to what you're doing.

I did soooo many lessons (I didn't have access to any car outside of these) and got to a point where I was competent enough to pass the test.

But the most improvement in my technique and confidence came when I bought my own car and starting driving daily.

You really can't compare a handful of hours every month to daily driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Stick with it, I was honestly the same, I felt lessons were doing more harm than good, trust me one day driving will just click and you wont even have to think just drive

practice practice and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

5 lessons is tiny.

If you can drive at home, get a feel for it , you are still on day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I guess the stress makes me do stupid things. I forget to watch the mirrors before I indicate, my road placement is all over the place (I think because the roads are much wider)

The only improvement I've seen in myself is that I don't stall as much, but other than that I feel like I'm just stuck in the same spot. Terrified of parking, reverse/forward bay parking, and all the things you would want to be good at to pass the test.

As others have said, 5 lessons is nothing in the grand scheme of things. At that stage you're still learning the "mechanics" of driving - where to put your hands and feet, etc. That's precisely why you have instructors or a licensed driver with you - it's expected that they'll be doing a lot of the observation in the early days, warning you of hazards. That's not to say you should sit back and close your eyes!

At a certain point muscle memory will kick in, and you won't have to concentrate on "right foot up, left foot over there, left hand move this way" and that's when your observation etc start to properly improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi, so I started doing my driving lessons recently, and I have done 5 so far. I am doing it with 2 different instructors as I travel between home and accommodation in Galway City.

Back home I fly through the lessons as it's just a small town with no big obstacles or manoeuvres, however in the city when I do my lessons and drive in traffic, I guess the stress makes me do stupid things. I forget to watch the mirrors before I indicate, my road placement is all over the place (I think because the roads are much wider)

I have a car, given to me by my mam, and I was wondering whether it would be better to let it sit until I pass my test, or get insured and practice when I can, or finish all my lessons and do more on top. Has anyone advice for me?

Hi,

Relax. Do not be so fixated on the test. If you learn to drive safely you will pass the test no problem whatsoever. Just concentrate on the here and now, on each lesson. When you started school or college were you endlessly worrying about passing the final exams in the first few days. ??

Alternating between two different instructors is not a great idea, Could lead to confusion on your part. For example, ask each to explain exactly where and the reason why you should position yourself on the road. Different road widths should not really cause you any problem in road position. More or less the same as you judge/travel a safe distance from the left.

If you take an advanced driving course you will be taught to use the entire width of the road but until then just travel a safe distance from the left.

Bay parking. If you can drive straight in no problem as the back wheels religiously follow the front. If you have to turn in from an angle then the back wheels take a short cut. Reversing, completely different, the car pivots on the back wheels. So just allow for the different situations.

Advertisement