Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road bike for heavy set riders

Options
  • 23-07-2020 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I'm tall at 6ft5 and sit @ 128KG. Around 20Kg above recommended weight limits for a lot of brands I'm aware of.

Cruising on a Scott currently and it does ok, I do get a creek on the uphill as I put more power through the pedals.

Anyone aware of any brands for road bikes that are capable of managing riders with a bit of weight.

Obviously the ideal solution is to lose 20KG but the cycling is part of the plan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Most Treks have an official weight limit of 125kg, so if you get one and start riding it, you'll soon be within range ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect those weight limits are erring on the conservative side.
    remember that a front wheel on its own has to be able to take comfortably above the stated total load for the bike - not only under emergency braking can all the weight on the bike shift to the front wheel, the deceleration too adds load over and above the static weight.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I’ve been at 122/124kg in the past and have road Cube, Ribble, Canyon (Alu) and Cannondale road bikes with no major issues. Usually with Mavic wheels.

I go through BBs quicker but not that much quicker. Broken a few cheap wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Tough wheels with 32 spokes at the back Heart Break Kid.

Road frames are mostly similar and manufactured to pretty close tolerances but I've found CX frames tougher as they have to deal with more physical abuse in 'normal' conditions. a nice CX frame set up for road commuting could be a really good option for you.

Won't comment too much on gravel bikes as I know little about them, but to my eye they look pretty tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

What model Scott is it? The creaking may not be from your weight. I'm about 60kg and have had annoying creaks too.

Some minor tweaks, servicing or upgrades to the Scott could be enough to sort the creaking.

Hi,

So I'm tall at 6ft5 and sit @ 128KG. Around 20Kg above recommended weight limits for a lot of brands I'm aware of.

Cruising on a Scott currently and it does ok, I do get a creek on the uphill as I put more power through the pedals.

Anyone aware of any brands for road bikes that are capable of managing riders with a bit of weight.

Obviously the ideal solution is to lose 20KG but the cycling is part of the plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

Have a look at some steel Or titanium gravel bikes with some strong wheels and you will have no issues. A more relaxed geometry will help also. They can take tyres up to 40-45mm on some and that will help with comfort. Great all rounders. I have a set of hoops for the road and a separate set for trails so no need to change tyres.

Advertisement