Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Canyon Grail AL

Options
  • 23-07-2020 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

I'm looking for some advice on a new bike. I had my heard set on a Canyon Grail AL 7.0 but they are not available until the end of November!

I had chosen it because they got good reviews, a great price for the spec and the geometry is closer to the road end of the gravel spectrum.

Any suggestions on an alternative that might be more readily available?

Cheers,

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Cannondale Topstone is similar and worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

I like the Giant Revolt

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/bikes-revolt

However, if you have your heart set on the Canyon, why not wait a few more months.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭RunDMC

Unfortunaley, I can't seem to find any Topstone in stock anywhere either. I guess this is just the new normal for now.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Off the top of my head Scott speedster gravel 30, giant tcx, merida cyclocross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Decathlon just announced a new Van Rysel CX and gravel range today - only glanced at them and they weren't as cheap as Decathlon can be but they looked decent. I'm only half in the market for a gravel so will try pick one up in a sale

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭longford76

Mod Note: No ads in the main forum

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mh_cork

PlanetX do cheap and cheerful gravel bikes. I got a Space Chicken and its a very capable, if not too exciting, ride on road. I havent used it on any rough stuff, but its a really stable sturdy bike (hence not too exciting on road).

You do have to watch out with PlanetX - the prices constantly change. I got my bike for stg1200 (Dec 2019). Same bike is now stg1600. They run constant promotions, switching between products. Sign-up to their email list and be prepared to wait until it drops in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭positron

Specialized Diverge? Probably not as good value as Grail though.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Trek Domaine - comfy road orientated but plenty of space for trail tyres - it comes with 32s as standard - there’s no going back once you’ve ridden something like that on Irish roads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Mason Bokeh gravel bike. Can be speced with 700cc (max 45mm tyres) or 650B (max 60mm tyres).
    I run it with 700cc 40mm tyres. My first gravel bike and really like it. Similar to race bike geometry.

TGD wrote: »
    Trek Domaine - comfy road orientated but plenty of space for trail tyres - it comes with 32s as standard - there’s no going back once you’ve ridden something like that on Irish roads!

As if by magic this jumped out at me earlier. Stunning looking bike Domaine SL6 and an interesting go pro mount integrated into the stem.

50152861142_7a680e299f_z.jpg50152861192_9da7273710_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Trekker09

The Cervelo C3 is worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

TGD wrote: »

I’ve my eye on the Checkpoint rather than the Domane. Similar enough I believe, but can fit wider tyres and has eyelets for mudguards, pannier racks, more water bottles, GRX groupset. Depends on how gravel the OP wants their “road end of the gravel spectrum” bike to be I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

I’ve just ordered the Canyon Grail.

onlineweb wrote: »
    I’ve just ordered the Canyon Grail.

Which model did you go for?

Advertisement