Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike Time but Cant Decide...

Options
  • 22-07-2020 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭

Ive been using a Defy 4 2015 for the last 5 years as my commuter and for weekend rides and tbh I cant fault it, its still immaculate and gets me around the Wicklow mountains no bother and has been on holiday a couple of times aswell as getting me into work and back 20k every day, best bike ever tbh, smooth as butter and comfortable as you could want in a roadbike, plus I still admire its looks and get compliments on it from co-workers years later, dont really use Strava so God knows what the mileage must be at this stage:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-4-2015

GAYHcMm.jpg

Ever since I saw the Defy Advanced 2 2020 though I cant stop thinking about it:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-2

wdwA2Mq.jpg

I want it bad :D

Im thinking all I do is work and save and I deserve a treat and I can biketowork it for 50% off no problem.

But what would the difference actually feel like? I see the recommendation a lot here and elsewhere to just get new wheels and tyres to inject new life into your existing bike (Im on original 2015 tyres with Gatorskins which get a bad rap by themselves nevermind being on 5 year old wheels).

So Im wondering if someone could describe to me what the actual ride would feel like if I made the switch? GCN has a few videos on the difference between cheap and expensive bikes and its not exactly definitive.

What would

-Tubeless Giant Gavia Fondo 1 vs cheapo Giant stock with Gatorkins.
    -Carbon vs Aluminium obviously.
    -Shimano 105 vs cheapo Claris
    -Disk brakes vs calipers.

actually feel like?

Im genuinely torn here, so many happy memories on the Defy 4 and it is still basically immaculate, all the Greenways, the canals, all around Galway and Wicklow, Naples to Rome, all over the Netherlands and a load of other rides, it would be like dumping a long-term girlfriend :(

The Defy Advanced 1 is there aswell but Im not mad about the looks compared to the stunning looking Advanced 2 and the spec isnt that different:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-1

What do you think? Would it be life changing or would it feel like a lot of money for not much of an upgrade especially compared to new wheels and tyres on the 4? Money is no object though so feel free to recommend any others you have your eye on, Im not set on Giant in any way as I dont have all that much experience on roadbikes in general as the 4 served me so well for so long, just had a couple of Boardmans before that.

Also is it that late in the year I should wait for the 2021 bikes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thargor wrote: »
    ... Money is no object ..
    This bit puzzles me. If money is no object, why don't you have 5 or 6 bikes. I'd hate to be commuting on the same bike that I'd use to go to Wicklow.

Buy the damn bike! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

You will notice an improvement on the groupset, slicker, quicker and more reliable shifting for sure. But then suddenly it becomes the norm.

Disc brakes people rave about them, there will be a difference that you will notice. But again that standard of braking will become normal.

As my darling wife says (better than pi$$ing money up a wall every weekend in the pub) and you are using the bike for work and leisure, so as WA says 'Buy the damn bike'.

We also want grstitious pictures of it when it does land ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

My dad just bought the advanced 1, it's a beautiful bike. Looks a lot better in person than in the pictures. The colour shifts a bit in the light. It's pretty light too for the type of bike that it is. Got a lot of queries about it when it was in the bike shop, mainly because of the colour.

Difficulty might be in getting either bike. I know the one I ordered was the last advanced 1 in stock, shop were lucky to get it and said they don't know when more are coming in too. Was about 4 weeks ago though so might be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

Lighter bike, faster wheels, better groupset, carbon instead of aluminium - you'll definitely notice the difference! If you can afford it, it's nice to have a good bike for the weekend that doesn't suffer from the ususal wear and tear that a year round commuter takes. Every time you take it out it will put you in a good mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Don’t worry about the money if you can afford it.

I was a member of a golf club for about 10 years spending approx 1K a year on subs and playing about 6 rounds a year there.

I look back and imagine I could have had a few nice bikes for that money. This justification allows me to buy a bike roughly every 3 years. Mostly these are fairly high end old steel bikes that I tell the wife are only going up in value. And so far that looks to be true but she’s in the horrors that I will leave her the headache of selling them on when I eventually toddle off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Buy it and keep the old one for during the week. In time you might even want to upgrade the wheels on the new one.

Buy it and keep the old one for during the week. In time you might even want to upgrade the wheels on the new one buy a third bike..
    FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

The Defy Advanced 1 is there aswell but Im not mad about the looks compared to the stunning looking Advanced 2 and the spec isnt that different:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/defy-advanced-1

The colour of that is pretty special. :)

As said previously buy the bike life is short.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Money no object up to the €2.5-€3k of the Defy Advanced range I should have said (although I would stretch for something good if it was suggested and Im not married to Giant either). Im trying to get a feel for if its worth it though, any time someones let me on a decent bike the nice satisfying click and instant gear changes are about the only thing I really noticed compared to the slightly spongy feel when changing gear on what Im on now...

I was talking to someone at work today aswell and they suggested getting one of those €200 services where they service the bottom bracket and change all the cables and pads etc and get new wheels and tyres then with the money I would have spent get a semi-decent MTB which I often talk about aswell, torn by indecision here, I wouldn't even be thinking about changing if I hadnt see the Defy Advanced 2, its calling to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

So for all the riding you've done on that bike your rims probably are worn so you should really replace the wheels anyway. A pair of zondas or dt p1800 spline and throw in some gt 5s for 350 or so and you have a much better feeling bike. Or if you want aksiums are bulletproof if you want to have a gravel style bike. But while the bike frame isnt bad and is definitely upgradeable it mighnt be the most economic thing to do

If you want a mtb you should seriously consider it, you can get race capable hardtails for around 1000€ compared to road bikes where you could be spending 2000€

Are you sure you want the defy advanced it's very much an endurance road bike you could get something like the tcr canyon ultimate scott addict merida scultura and try out racing, I'd only get the defy if you not interested in racing just racking up miles going exploring.

What kind of riding do you want to do op?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I bought the purple advanced 1 this year after having a bog standard defy for 6 years, and doing decent milage for 4 years and none for the last 2.

Weight difference is pretty noticeable.
    Disk brakes are excellent, won’t ever buy a bike without them again, huge difference in wet.
    Tubeless tyres that are 28” instead of 23, can’t say I notice a huge amount more

Very happy with it.

Tony04 wrote: »
    ... aksiums are bulletproof...
    Each to his own etc. but I wouldn't put Aksiums and 'bulletproof' in the same sentence. By far, the most troublesome wheels I've ever had. One of those bloody bladed spokes would decide to pop every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

hesker wrote: »
    Don’t worry about the money if you can afford it.

I was a member of a golf club for about 10 years spending approx 1K a year on subs and playing about 6 rounds a year there.

I look back and imagine I could have had a few nice bikes for that money. This justification allows me to buy a bike roughly every 3 years. Mostly these are fairly high end old steel bikes that I tell the wife are only going up in value. And so far that looks to be true but she’s in the horrors that I will leave her the headache of selling them on when I eventually toddle off.

my-biggest-fear-is-that-when-i-die-my-spouse-will-sell-my-bikes-for-what-i-said-they-cost-1a69b.png

I mean even if you're being honest about it, in your scenario this seems like a particular nightmare!

Money no object up to the €2.5-€3k ....
    You've just brought me back to the early 1980's when I worked as a filling station attendant. Customers would regularly say 'Fill her up' and then hastily add 'but don't go over twenty pounds'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

200 euro service is a waste of money on a bike that's 5 years old. I guarantee they will have a long list of recommendations on replacement parts: headset, bottom bracket, cassette, chain, chainrings etc will add up quickly to cost of new bike.

Buy the new one! The old one owes you nothing as you've gotten good milage from it,use it for commute.
    Money no object up to the €2.5-€3k of the Defy Advanced range I should have said (although I would stretch for something good if it was suggested and Im not married to Giant either). Im trying to get a feel for if its worth it though, any time someones let me on a decent bike the nice satisfying click and instant gear changes are about the only thing I really noticed compared to the slightly spongy feel when changing gear on what Im on now...

I was talking to someone at work today aswell and they suggested getting one of those €200 services where they service the bottom bracket and change all the cables and pads etc and get new wheels and tyres then with the money I would have spent get a semi-decent MTB which I often talk about aswell, torn by indecision here, I wouldn't even be thinking about changing if I hadnt see the Defy Advanced 2, its calling to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Each to his own etc. but I wouldn't put Aksiums and 'bulletproof' in the same sentence. By far, the most troublesome wheels I've ever had. One of those bloody bladed spokes would decide to pop every week.
    Bladed spokes? I didn't know they have bladed spokes; mine (disc) don't.

Bladed spokes? I didn't know they have bladed spokes; mine (disc) don't.
    Perhaps 'bladed' isn't the correct term. They weren't round but sort of flattish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The non-disc Aksiums have bladed spokes yep. Very hard to damage a set of Aksiums compared to higher end Mavic hoops.

They are my toughest wheels and first rim of choice following a '*cough* 'comfortable winter'.

Advertisement