Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another New Bike Thread

Options
  • 22-07-2020 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭

Ok...I am going to try and get a new bike but I have no idea of where to start so looking for ideas.

looking for a road bike which would be light so most likely CF.
    It will be going hills a lot (so obvious it will also go down hills a lot)
    Will be used for spotifs/Charity Cycles etc. - not any racing.

Would like Electronic shifting - but in reality Not fussed
    Would prefer disc brake options....

Any goof options or bargains at the moment.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

What is your budget that should narrow the options a bit whether its high or low .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I am trying to get an idea of what kind of budget I need.....but lets say a starting point of €2-3k

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

So definitely reading your post op would go for hydraulic disc brakes, much stronger braking performance.

With your budget I also think cf would probably be the best option, unless you want a heirloom and go for titanium.

Are you type that likes maintaining bikes? Or would rather get the lbs to do most jobs? Because if you are the latter your probably best off paying extra for a shop bought bike.

If your not doing a lot of winter riding and or willing to adjust shifting on your bike I dont think theres need for the extra 500 or so for Di2.

At your budget you will be spoilt for choice with bikes equipped with ultegra mechanical disc groupset...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There is another thread with a similar request worth a look but there is very little with Di2 disc under 3300 - a Canyon Ultimate is one example. You'd find the same bike with mechanical Ultegra on sale for 2200.

I recently got Di2 and love it but there's a significant piece increase

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

I was loookigna t teh Canyon but I would like to see other similar options.....the problem I am finding is that there are too many options....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

You may have to just pick a brand and go with it the choice is endless really I doubt there is much difference between the main bikes with the spec you want and budget .Every group of cyclists I see have nearly all different brands so it seems much of a muchness to me. You will know all the leading brands so if you want to get one just go for it the longer you wait the more different opinions you will get .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Keeks wrote: »
    I was loookigna t teh Canyon but I would like to see other similar options.....the problem I am finding is that there are too many options....

Are you finding many other options in the same price range and with Di2 disc though?

If you are and assuming the wheels and finishing kit look ok and they come from a reputable brand then go for it - when I was looking you'd be lucky to find that spec in a few odd sizes from old models in that price range. Nothing at all wrong with getting an old model though - you can the best deals there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

General health?
    Mobility?
    Intended usage other than Sportifs?
    Aesthetic draw?

Might help eliminate some of the chaff early.

There are a lot of options alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Keeks wrote: »

That's because all brands have bikes specced similar but not all bikes are created equal some have better frames than others.

Once you decide on your max budget(with best spec) or the exact spec you want I.e disc or not 105 or ultegra, di2 you can start narrowing your search

Advertisement