Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microlight / PPL

Options
  • 21-07-2020 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All,

It has probably come up here before but struggling to find it when completing a search. (Mods delete if necessary) Does anyone know the guidelines around training on a Microlight & working towards a standard PPL?
    It Seems a cheaper option per hour than going down say training on the standard Cessna etc but not sure if I will have a standard PPL to fly the likes of a Cessna on the Far side.

Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

This is a great time to be learning to fly - there are loads of options for licences now - it's just got a lot more affordable than it used to be with these new National licences for Annex I aircraft (permit and microlight aircraft).

https://flyinginireland.com/2020/07/new-private-pilot-licences-for-general-aviation-pilots-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vinnie B

civdef wrote: »
    This is a great time to be learning to fly - there are loads of options for licences now - it's just got a lot more affordable than it used to be with these new National licences for Annex I aircraft (permit and microlight aircraft).

https://flyinginireland.com/2020/07/new-private-pilot-licences-for-general-aviation-pilots-in-ireland/

Thanks Civdef. So essentially (forgive my ignorance) I could train on a microlight and provided I get my PPL I could progress and fly Cessnas etc?

Is this the most cost effective route to a PPL currently ?

That's the plan. The National LAPL or PPL will allow you train on an permit aircraft (including a microlights) and then fly these Annex 1 aircraft. -That includes things like a Cessna 120 or 140 as it happens. https://ilas.ie/TypeList

The bit that's still being finalised is a process to convert the National LAPL or PPL into the EASA equivalent. As the training syllabi are identical, it should just be a matter of an EASA skills test. Not sure when that will be in place though.

You'd need an EASA licence to fly certified Cessnas, Pipers etc (in Europe at least)- the National PPL is fully ICAO compliant and could be used outside the EU once verified as appropriate.

Some people would ask why would you would ever want to fly the likes of 172's with the Annex 1 alternatives out there! :)

It looks like training for the National licences is working out €50-€60/hour cheaper than the EASA equivalent rates in places offering both currently. That certainly adds up to a big saving over the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Vinnie B

civdef wrote: »
    That's the plan. The National LAPL or PPL will allow you train on an permit aircraft (including a microlights) and then fly these Annex 1 aircraft. -That includes things like a Cessna 120 or 140 as it happens. https://ilas.ie/TypeList

The bit that's still being finalised is a process to convert the National LAPL or PPL into the EASA equivalent. As the training syllabi are identical, it should just be a matter of an EASA skills test. Not sure when that will be in place though.

You'd need an EASA licence to fly certified Cessnas, Pipers etc (in Europe at least)- the National PPL is fully ICAO compliant and could be used outside the EU once verified as appropriate.

Some people would ask why would you would ever want to fly the likes of 172's with the Annex 1 alternatives out there! :)

It looks like training for the National licences is working out €50-€60/hour cheaper than the EASA equivalent rates in places offering both currently. That certainly adds up to a big saving over the course.

That makes sense thanks a lot.
    Sounds good - Ideally I would be hoping to move across to the EASA equivalent when ever that piece gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Can these new National licenses be used to fly Irish registered aircraft to other European countries or are they restricted to Irish airspace only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Off topic but rather than starting yet another PPL thread, can anyone tell me what is involved in the hearing test? By all accounts its not that strenuous... Reason i ask is i have significant hearing loss in one ear but the other is perfect. Ive been putting off doing the PPL for quite some time as i don't want to be disappointed. Obviously i don't ever want to progress with it as a career but just a hobby.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

go and get an audiometric test and find one of the GPs qualified as an aeromedical examiner and get their opinion. You should be okay for a microlight license.

The Class 2 hearing standard:
    AMC2 MED.B.080 Otorhino-laryngology
    (a) Hearing
    (1) The applicant should understand correctly conversational speech when tested with
    each ear at a distance of 2 metres from and with the applicant’s back turned
    towards the AME.
    (2) An applicant with hypoacusis may be assessed as fit if a speech discrimination test
    or functional cockpit hearing test demonstrates satisfactory hearing ability. An
    applicant for an instrument rating with hypoacusis should be assessed in
    consultation with the licensing authority.
    (3) If the hearing requirements can be met only with the use of hearing aids, the
    hearing aids should provide optimal hearing function, be well tolerated and suitable
    for aviation purposes.

And LAPL standard:
    AMC16 MED.B.095 Otorhino-laryngology
    (a) Hearing
    (1) Applicants should understand correctly conversational speech when tested at a
    distance of 2 metres from and with the applicant’s back turned towards the
    examiner.
    (2) Applicants with hypoacusis should demonstrate satisfactory functional hearing
    ability.

From: https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/AMC%20and%20GM%20on%20the%20medical%20certification%20of%20pilots%20and%20medical%20fitness%20of%20cabin%20crew.pdf

Advertisement