Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio Kerry

Options
  • 21-07-2020 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭

So Radio Kerry was 30 last week and i thought i'd start a thread.

Who was your favourite/least favourite presenters?

Who was your favourite/least favourite show/shows?

Or anything else you want to share.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I used to love listening to the 'Dear John' letters on John Drummy's late night show in the 90's. He started to read some of the old ones out recently on his facebook page. They were even more cringe than I had remembered!

I would have only listened to his show and Jon Slattery back in the 90's as they were the only ones really catering for a younger audience back then. I don't listen that much these days, but I would put on the Afternoon show now and again or Deirdre Walsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I always get as much of Kerry Today as I can and a bit of Brendan Fuller before the 5.30 news. Sunday afternoon sports commentary and the post mortems on Terrace Talk with the inimitable Weeshie were the best, though Jason Hickson isn't bad at all.
    Back in the day my late mother in law and some of her friends would gather in each others houses on a Sunday night to listen to the Rambling House. The tv was turned off and phone left unanswered, and woe betide the wayward offspring who tried to phone in the middle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

It will be interesting to see if and when Radio Kerry is ever able to return to it's pre-Covid schedule.

I try to get some of Kerry Today each morning, though if it's the usual suspects moaning, I give it a miss. Talkabout was a favourite of my late mother's and I still listen to at least some of it if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

A behind the scenes look at Radio Kerry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm36xsJ8TE8&feature=youtu.be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

Somw views of my own.

In recent years imo the quality of some shows has gone down quite a lot.

Breakfast show Andrew is fine most of the time. But Elaine Kinsella is a bit too much at times, too much yummy mummy and i'm a parent comments, that gets a bit annoying after a while. Also if someone texts in to disagree or correct her on something, even if it's only minor, she tends to deal with it in quite a dismissive tone.

Talkabout is a bit unnecessary i think essentially since it's just after the news and there's been two hours of current affairs only a few hours before had. Like Elaine Kinsella Deidre Walsh tends to not like to have anything she says questioned. If she had her way the whole show would have female guests.

Terrace Talk just not the same without Weeshie. Although in recent weeks without Tim Moynihan it's actually been much better. It probably needed a bit of a freshening up as a lot o the guests were just coming out with the same things over and over again.

While there hasn't been any of it as of late, but the commentating of games is something that relly needs a shake up. They spend more time talking about anything other than the game most of the time!

Weekend sport as also improved un recent weeks after a few poor choices with hosts.

Another programme gone from the schedule, the Sunday morning classical music show. Not sure if it's temporary or permanent but sad to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Radio5 wrote: »
    Another programme gone from the schedule, the Sunday morning classical music show. Not sure if it's temporary or permanent but sad to hear.

It appears they've cut it by half so it only runs til 8am which is a pity. Especially as it's only to make way for '7 days' which is a pre-record anyway and could easily have been on Sat or Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Can someone tell me the name of the morning presenter on Radio Kerry around the year 2000. I remember he was from Limerick. Had had a talk show more a less the same as Deirdre Walsh has now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

E mac wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the name of the morning presenter on Radio Kerry around the year 2000. I remember he was from Limerick. Had had a talk show more a less the same as Deirdre Walsh has now.

Tom McGuire??
    or
    Dan Collins?

invicta wrote: »
    Tom McGuire??

I don't think so. Bugging the hell out of me now

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I don't think so. Bugging the hell out of me now

Jon Slattery? not sure if he was in morning though, night time I think.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Jon Slattery? not sure if he was in morning though, night time I think.

Don't think it's him either. It's weird I can date it to the year 2000 because I was working at a certain place which had radio kerry on during breakfast. So every weekday morning I'd listen to him

Don't think it's him either. It's weird I can date it to the year 2000 because I was working at a certain place which had radio kerry on during breakfast. So every weekday morning I'd listen to him

I wouldn't have listened a lot back then, especially in the morning. One other person I remember is Sean Crowley. He actually taught me to drive! I know he was working on radio kerry as well as being a driving instructor. I am not sure what show he was doing at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭poppy37

Madigan was his surname, can’t think of his first name. If I’m right I think he’s married to Sinead Spain who was a newsreader with Today Fm.

poppy37 wrote: »
    Madigan was his surname, can’t think of his first name. If I’m right I think he’s married to Sinead Spain who was a newsreader with Today Fm.

Ya think your right. Morissey kept coming up in my head.

I never knew Sinead Spain worked for Radio Kerry as well, everyday is a school day.

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    His name doesn't ring a bell at all!

Weirder still I remember during almost every ad break Nissan were pushing some deal like trade in your old banger for a new Nissan etc etc ...why do I remember this? I don't remember what I was doing last Wednesday...

What was the fella who was on in the afternoons name does anyone remember? Would have been on around 2003 or so?

Martin Howard?

Martin Howard?

I remember him, he had a very soft gentle voice and a great playlist. He was also the dj in Chutes Bar in Listowel. That’s a blast from the past.

Martin Howard?

Maybe. I can remember being around Clare maybe 15/16 years ago and heard him on the raoid up there.

I remember him, he had a very soft gentle voice and a great playlist. He was also the dj in Chutes Bar in Listowel. That’s a blast from the past.

Sunday nights around 2000-2001??

Sunday nights around 2000-2001??

He did the afternoon show, late nineties maybe early 2000’s. I didn’t get to hear Radio Kerry much at that time but remember listening to him going home from work.

He did the afternoon show, late nineties maybe early 2000’s. I didn’t get to hear Radio Kerry much at that time but remember listening to him going home from work.

Sorry I meant to say he was possibly in Chutes bar around 2000-2001 ! I've no idea wat time of day he was on Radio Kerry.

Sorry I meant to say he was possibly in Chutes bar around 2000-2001 ! I've no idea wat time of day he was on Radio Kerry.

😀 no problem. Yeah he was in Chutes then I think. We loved that bar, still laugh when I remember going out the top door onto the street and in the bottom door to get to the toilet because it was quicker than trying to push through the packed bar. Will we ever see a crowded bar again???

• Advertisement

�� no problem. Yeah he was in Chutes then I think. We loved that bar, still laugh when I remember going out the top door onto the street and in the bottom door to get to the toilet because it was quicker than trying to push through the packed bar. Will we ever see a crowded bar again???

Had some great nights in chutes. I liked Sunday nights because it was busy without being cramped, as you know it was a bar that didn't have a huge crowd capacity. You weren't the only one who did the two door trick 😆

Advertisement