Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Forestry Question - Looking to source timber!

Options
  • 20-07-2020 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

I am a complete newbie at this so please bear with me, maybe this is not the right place to get an answer but maybe somebody could point me in the right direction....

I am looking to source some lengths of round timber approximately 2 to 3m in length and 100mm or so in diameter. From my research I understand what I am looking for is called small diameter timber (the top part of the tree?).

Is there anywhere a regular Joe Soap like myself can buy this product direct, from what I can find online it seems to be just sold from forestry industry direct to industry/sawmills for processing etc?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Sorry, mods. This was supposed to be in Forestry forum, maybe you can move it?.. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What part of the country are you in OP? Sounds like first thinnings would suit you.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Any particular type of timber, what are you going to use it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Hi, thanks for the replies!

I am based in Dublin but willing to travel to collect if I can find something suitable.

I think I would need a hardwood but no preference on type, am looking to build a couple of large trellis for the garden so something that will last a while. (Something similar to the link below)

https://www.google.com/search?q=rustic+branch+trellis&client=ms-android-huawei-rev1&prmd=ismvn&sxsrf=ALeKk01q3JF1mFe6Iy3v04_2xrENiwrbqQ:1595364500410&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjJ4NXym9_qAhWVQhUIHfVyDNYQ_AUoAXoECA0QAQ&biw=360&bih=631#imgrc=3ijo_Gq3LwJyYM

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Lelandi, would be very suitable for what you are doing, it is very resistant to rotting and decay, if you are city based ask some tree surgeon's for some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭timfromtang

rob w wrote: »
    I am a complete newbie at this so please bear with me, maybe this is not the right place to get an answer but maybe somebody could point me in the right direction....

I am looking to source some lengths of round timber approximately 2 to 3m in length and 100mm or so in diameter. From my research I understand what I am looking for is called small diameter timber (the top part of the tree?).

Is there anywhere a regular Joe Soap like myself can buy this product direct, from what I can find online it seems to be just sold from forestry industry direct to industry/sawmills for processing etc?

Thanks in advance!

Howdy,
    Tip down to Tang and I'll find you something to suit, i've lots of species to choose from down here 100 acres planted now. pm me perhaps
    tim

Advertisement