Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell gas from your boiler outside

Options
  • 20-07-2020 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

I smell gas outside my house when the boiler is on. The pipe is almost 3m high but I still smell it from the ground.

Gas propane is less dense than air so it makes no sense the gas goes to the bottom.

Do you have any idea? Maybe the boiler is not burning as he is supposed to do?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

As the add says.....
    https://www.gasnetworks.ie/home/safety/emergency-numbers/

Perhaps call the customer care number at the bottom of the page first, to find out if you should call the emergency number, or go right ahead and call the emergency number.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,385 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Kaldo wrote: »
    I smell gas outside my house when the boiler is on. The pipe is almost 3m high but I still smell it from the ground.

Gas propane is less dense than air so it makes no sense the gas goes to the bottom.

Sounds like the boiler is not burning all of the propane. Butane and propane are heavier than air. Which is why boat owners are paranoid about gas when they lift their floorboards to check for a leak in the hull. Many's the careless boat owner who lifted his floorboards, then lit a match to inspect the bilges for water ingress, then kaboom!
    Kaldo wrote: »
    Do you have any idea? Maybe the boiler is not burning as he is supposed to do?

Sounds like that's the issue. Get an RGI to inspect/service the boiler.

Advertisement