Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here use Roon ?

Options
  • 19-07-2020 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I have subscription to Tidal with a couple of RPis as steamers. I wonder if many here use Roon ? I have signed up to their trial which is almost expired, and am still undecided as I think there might be better (and free) alternative solutions such as Logitech Media Server?

Note that I don't have a local song library. Everything is Tidal along with some internet radio

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

kifi wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I have subscription to Tidal with a couple of RPis as steamers. I wonder if many here use Roon ? I have signed up to their trial which is almost expired, and am still undecided as I think there might be better (and free) alternative solutions such as Logitech Media Server?

Note that I don't have a local song library. Everything is Tidal along with some internet radio

Ye I have a yearly subscription since January. I'm the same, would mainly listen through Tidal on it.

It is expensive and I actually went through 2 trials before I had decided it simply was the best at what it does.

A lot of the time I listen at my PC, so have Riopee running on a pi which is connected to my topping E30 and Schiiit Heresy.

I also use the DSP convolution filters for my headphones and DSD conversion.

The interface itself is excellent and I'd say the discovery features are top quality, I find them better than Tidal or Spotify for discovering new music.

The multi room capabilities are good as well. I use it with a few pies dotted about and works well with my Sonos system.

At the end of the day, if you're just using it as a media player it's probably not great value and something like Audirvana could work.

I tried a couple of different solutions, I spent about 2 days following guides about getting Foobar2000 set up, but at the end of the day I wasn't prepared to put the time in. Elements would break , and skins would stop loading and at the end of the day it looks awful compared to Roon.

To anyone that hasn't tried it I'd recommend the free trial just to have a play around.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kifi

Ye I have a yearly subscription since January. I'm the same, would mainly listen through Tidal on it.

It is expensive and I actually went through 2 trials before I had decided it simply was the best at what it does.

A lot of the time I listen at my PC, so have Riopee running on a pi which is connected to my topping E30 and Schiiit Heresy.

I also use the DSP convolution filters for my headphones and DSD conversion.

The interface itself is excellent and I'd say the discovery features are top quality, I find them better than Tidal or Spotify for discovering new music.

The multi room capabilities are good as well. I use it with a few pies dotted about and works well with my Sonos system.

At the end of the day, if you're just using it as a media player it's probably not great value and something like Audirvana could work.

I tried a couple of different solutions, I spent about 2 days following guides about getting Foobar2000 set up, but at the end of the day I wasn't prepared to put the time in. Elements would break , and skins would stop loading and at the end of the day it looks awful compared to Roon.

To anyone that hasn't tried it I'd recommend the free trial just to have a play around.

Thanks Fin. I've a Khadas Toneboard connect to a RPi4. Looking to add another RPi4 and might select a different DAC. Not that there is anything wrong with the Toneboard it sounds fantastic, I just have nothing to compare it to.

Curious about DSD, is there a noticeable difference in sound quality?

kifi wrote: »
    Thanks Fin. I've a Khadas Toneboard connect to a RPi4. Looking to add another RPi4 and might select a different DAC. Not that there is anything wrong with the Toneboard it sounds fantastic, I just have nothing to compare it to.

Curious about DSD, is there a noticeable difference in sound quality?

Tbh I think it all comes down to how the track was recorded and mastered, same as MQA, some sound great and others sound like trash and can sound better on Spotify.

Other considerations are how revealing your system is.

I bought a few Hi Res albums from hdtracks, I think they were native DSD 256 and sound great, but not great enough to be forking out 30 quid for an album!

I use Bandcamp for all my FLAC album purchases. Vinyl and Spotify streaming after that.

I use Bandcamp for all my FLAC album purchases. Vinyl and Spotify streaming after that.

Ye Bandcamp is brilliant, I've been using it more and more lately.
    I need to sort out a pre amp for my turntable.....and the harder part of finding somewhere to set it up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement