Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what does it take to classify as "farming" on argi land

Options
  • 18-07-2020 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all,

As you can imagine round Kinsale and outlining areas land with planning is next to impossible without millions in the bank.

I am just wondering what it takes to be able to build a small home on agri land if you are technically farming it .

We are locals and just want a small home to raise a family and live off the land such as orchard, greenhouses , crops for our own consumption and bees.

Realistically is that enough to get planning for a small home to live on and farm the land if the above would be classified as that or is it just wishful thinking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭castykidd

Just to add there is an obvious local need where my family have lived here for generations and now want to stay work and live in the area myself while farming the land on the side and raising a local family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

castykidd wrote: »
    Just to add there is an obvious local need where my family have lived here for generations and now want to stay work and live in the area myself while farming the land on the side and raising a local family.

When you say you are local, are you from the town or the countryside?

arctictree wrote: »
    When you say you are local, are you from the town or the countryside?

Thansk for reply
    Living in the town ans have been all my life as well as family generations and want to canute to being up my own family here close to relatives and my hometown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Thansk for reply
    Living in the town ans have been all my life as well as family generations and want to canute to being up my own family here close to relatives and my hometown

I've read that a number of times and have no idea what it means....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Thansk for reply

If you live inside the development boundary ie town and the farm is outside the development boundary, you will struggle to show a housing need in that area, i believe from memory you would need to show that 90% of your income is coming from the farm and that your would need to reside there in order to carry out your farming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

arctictree wrote: »
    I've read that a number of times and have no idea what it means....

I assume "canute to being up my own family" -> "continue to bring up my own family"

Or something.

JimmyMW wrote: »
    If you live inside the development boundary ie town and the farm is outside the development boundary, you will struggle to show a housing need in that area, i believe from memory you would need to show that 90% of your income is coming from the farm and that your would need to reside there in order to carry out your farming

Isn't there some sort of stipulation about being able to apply after 5 years of temporary non permanent accommodation on the site?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,209 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Isn't there some sort of stipulation about being able to apply after 5 years of temporary non permanent accommodation on the site?

No.

You can apply for planning permission at any time, and notifying then that you have been living in an unauthorised development on site for five years is not a great way to start communications with the planning authority.

Advertisement