Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth & marriage records brickwalls

Options
  • 17-07-2020 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

I've hit a brickwall trying to find both the birth record (civil or parish) and marriage record for one man. I have found his census entries, the births of his four children, and his death.

Just wondering if anyone is up for the challenge?

John Huggard was born between 1870-1878, based on ages given in the censuses and death. Lived all of his life in Dunshaughlin, Co Meath.

He married Mary Finnegan from Dunshaughlin sometime between 1901 and 1904. Mary had a(n illegitimate) child already, in 1901. Mary and John Huggard subsequently had four children together, in 1904, 1906, 1909 and 1911. Mary's first child is listed with the surname Huggard in the 1911 census.

Huggards are numerous in Kerry, and some in Dublin South, but there seems to be just one family in Dunshaughlin. However, I cannot find a documented link to John Huggard.

I do have a theory though, based on records I have been able to find.

Ellen Reid married Robert Huggard in 1874. They had two sons, both born in Dunshaughlin, William born in 1874, and Richard born in 1876. In 1878, Ellen died, age 26, Post partum haemorrhage, 10 days. However, I cannot find a birth or death record for an infant at the same time/place. Could this have been John Huggard, and his birth was never registered?

Is it just misfortune that I then can't find his marriage record as well??! I think my only option is to contact the parish priest to see if he will check those years for a Huggard/Finnegan marriage.

Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Dunshaughlin's registers online only go up to 1880. He could have been born after that.

No Finnegan/Huggard marriage anywhere in Ireland in that time frame.
    Have you run down the list of all Huggard marriages ever in Ireland?

You could try that with Mary Finnegan marriages too in case there's a very bad transcription.

I think your theory is plausible but there's no way to prove it. They certainly would have baptised the child if it lived.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22 riverina

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin's registers online only go up to 1880. He could have been born after that.

No Finnegan/Huggard marriage anywhere in Ireland in that time frame.
    Have you run down the list of all Huggard marriages ever in Ireland?

You could try that with Mary Finnegan marriages too in case there's a very bad transcription.

I think your theory is plausible but there's no way to prove it. They certainly would have baptised the child if it lived.

Thanks, and yes, I've tried all the permutations and combinations I can think of, including searching all Hug* or Fin* marriages in the whole country in that time period. Just occurred to me that I haven't tried Hag* so I'll try that next.

Advertisement