Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

French EV retrofit scheme

• 16-07-2020 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭ adunis

https://transition-one.fr/

What are the odds this will ever happen here ?
    I'm going with the burecrats/insurance companies/vested interests will never go for it.

Comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭ innrain

Sounds like a good idea.
    I don't see any technical details. I see it costs about 10k (the state aid is about 5k) so you pay 5k for a small car. I don't see the range and if the cost includes re-certification. I imagine that for a second car in the family might sound good. What about insurance. Yeah it won't happen. By the time it gets here will have decent SH market

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,916 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

That price of 10k is only for the very small city cars ( les voitures citadines) getting a range of 100km. I'd say they'll get just a 15kWh or so battery. Note it is only for a handful of pre-configured cars that they obviously have developed cheap conversion kits for

That said, 10k is a really good price (but still lots of money) to convert a car to EV and if the tax payer pays half of that, you have a very cheap conversion that will pay for itself within a few years and is better for the planet

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭ slave1

Better off with an interest free loan from the Gov than something like this, Scotland still do it AFAIK, interest free loan to buy an EV

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,916 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

I agree in so far that I am generally not a fan of retrofitting anything, particularly not if a lot of the cost are covered by the tax payer. This is generally inefficient use of tax payers money. Like a deep retrofit of an old house where most of the money is spent on labour

A better solution would be if there were cheap EV city cars available to buy brand new for very little money (after incentives)

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

Advertisement