Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA query

Options
  • 16-07-2020 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

New to ancestry, hope someone could help. My mother and I have both done the DNA test. A new relative (close enough in cMs second/third cousin) popped up on mine this week on my ‘mother’s side’. I told her to look up her matches and see if he’s also on hers and he’s not. How could this be?

Also I have two other shared matches with him as well as my mother, they are cousins on my dad’s side, who are definitely not connected to my Mam’s side.

Is there any logical explanation for this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What company did you test with?

If it's not Ancestry, you should be able to look at the chromosome browser and see where you share DNA with all 3 of the matches (exclude your mother because she will match 50% of your DNA and muddy the water). You might get triangulations with the cousins.

Is it possible your parents are distantly related?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MoniqueAlvarez

pinkypinky wrote: »
    What company did you test with?

If it's not Ancestry, you should be able to look at the chromosome browser and see where you share DNA with all 3 of the matches (exclude your mother because she will match 50% of your DNA and muddy the water). You might get triangulations with the cousins.

Is it possible your parents are distantly related?

Yes it is ancestry! We considered the possibility that parents are distantly related but it’s highly unlikely. Or one of this new person’s parents are related to my mother and the other my father. But should my mum not still be a shared match for me and him then?

No.

You need to message them and chat. And if neither of you is on Gedmatch, you should encourage that. You can use the chromosome browser there.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Bdoon51

Do you live in West Virginia or Kentucky?

Bdoon51 wrote: »
    Do you live in West Virginia or Kentucky?

Significance?

• Advertisement

I think s/he was trying to make a bad joke.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I think s/he was trying to make a bad joke.

Yes, I guessed that but thought he/she could explain to show exactly how sad/bad it is ;-)

I won't be allowing that sort of thing.

While there's plenty of light-hearted angles to genealogy, this isn't the After Hours forum.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement