Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy Gels

Options
  • 15-07-2020 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭

What do you guys use energy gel wise and how do you rate them?

Im a big fan of the GU gels, love their Espresso Love and Chocolate Outrage flavours but they aint cheap. I just cant bring myself to spending almost €50 on a 24 box. I normally catch a deal on them and get the box for 25-30 but ive not come across any deals in months now and am now all out!

Anyone tried the Wiggle branded ones? https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wiggle-nutrition-energy-gels-20-x-38g If so, are they vomit inducing or ok? Nothing worse then being on the limit and then having to take something that has you gagging! Years ago i used High5, both normal gels and their isotonic ones, and almost got sick every time taking them!

SIS are just ok, when working a little up in Belfast i used to get them very cheap in the Tesco in Banbridge but Ive not come across them as cheap down here. These are just ok, not as bad as High5 anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I normally just buy what is cheap so usually end up with the wiggle ones. Packing and consistency is very similar to the torq ones if yiu have ever tried them? Some flavours better than others, lemon and lime is nice, wouldn't be mad on the blackcurrant ones.

I've tried the new iso high5 and their brand new slow release ones. I never liked high5 before either of these but they would be my fav out there now. Very sis like consistency, bit runny but easy to take it on the bike, bit sticky tho on yiur hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Been making a homemade gel for a while now - small tortilla wrap filled w/jam and 100& peanut butter - wrap it in tinfoil, you can bite the top off the wrap and suck down the jam and P.B like a gel

Aldi;
    10 small tortilla wraps - 79c
    Strawberry jam - 99c
    100% Peanut Butter - 4.99

10 wraps = 69c

Has worked wonders when I feel like bonking, sweet but not sickly sweet as some gels and you don't have much of an aftertaste, can be a bit messy but sure you're washing your kit when you finish the spin anyway

You could look into making your own aswell? Bulk buy the sugars that are in gels, mix in your own flavors and throw it a reusable gel bottle. You could tweak the flavors and consistency to suit yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Torq rhubarb and custard can be taken for ages, the Bakewell tart one starts to taste chemically after 3-4 of them.

For most things I only take one or two gels max as they are a short lived turbo.

As such the cheapest I can buy are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Haven't brought them for ages - using years past "best before" at this stage as I rarely use them. Just sometimes for hard morning turbo's.

I do use a bottle mix, but have been making my own for a year or so - dextrose/ maltodextrin and fructose in a 2:1 mix (with electrolytes). Cost is (less than) peanuts compared to brands. I then add "real" food like GCN Energy Bars, Granola Bars, Cliff Bars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I have a stock of High5 and find them grand. Having said that, gels are my last resort and I prefer to eat real food. Can't beat bananas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Macer123

Bradley Wiggins gels on clearance in both my local Aldi down from 1.49 to 0.69 (at the tills). They also had bars, at the full price, but like lots of items in Aldi , don't get too attached as they can go out of stock and you'll never see them again !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Macer123 wrote: »
    Bradley Wiggins gels on clearance in both my local Aldi down from 1.49 to 0.69 (at the tills). They also had bars, at the full price, but like lots of items in Aldi , don't get too attached as they can go out of stock and you'll never see them again !!!

I have placed an order for the Wiggle own brand ones which I wont have til next week so might drop in and see if I can find any of these for a race tomorrow. Cheers for the heads up.

Really should look at making own drink too as some have said above!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Macer123

Was in the big smoke at the weekend and visited Decathlon Ballymun, big selection of Sport nutrition goods including bars & gels available, reasonably priced.
    Other cycling items in short supply as already reported here, but in general a very well stocked Decathlon, one of the best I've visited and I've been to loads in France (no sales rails yet as you would expect from a new store, French stores always have good end of line bargains).

Advertisement