Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATI gouging fees from students.

Options
  • 15-07-2020 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭

Just got results from exams today and it certainly seems as though ATI are gouging their students. Everybody in our class passed the required exams to move on to year 2 but failed the other 2 exams . One student had been studying this subject for a number of years so no way should they have failed. Anyone else get the feeling it's just fees fees fees with ATI ? Who should we report this to ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

dor843088 wrote: »
    Just got results from exams today and it certainly seems as though ATI are gouging their students. Everybody in our class passed the required exams to move on to year 2 but failed the other 2 exams . One student had been studying this subject for a number of years so no way should they have failed. Anyone else get the feeling it's just fees fees fees with ATI ? Who should we report this to ?

Just because someone has studied a subject for years does not by definition mean that they are good at it, in fact it may indicate the opposite....

I have never hear anything to suggest that the ATI does not conduct it's exam process in a professional manner along the same lines as every other professional accounting body, nor can I see anything on google etc...

If you have factual evidence that the exams are being manipulated with a view to collecting additional fees, then that constitutes fraud and under S19 of the CJA 2011 you are obliged to report the matter to the Garda.

If not then you should be aware that bring the Institution into disrepute would constitute grounds for refusing you membership.

People work hard to obtain professional qualifications and the reputation of institutes to which the belong are important in their careers, do no expect them to react lightly to people making unsubstantiated claims that may impart their livelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Navy blue

Would I be right in thinking the two that are required for year 2 were open book this year but the other two were monitored exams? That would be a more logical reason for the higher failure rate than ATI being out to gauge students. The law and ethics exam is tricky and it has the highest failure rate of all the ATI exams. I’ve just passed year two (passed all this years subjects and last years first time as did most in my class) and I’ve never heard rumours or suspected the ATI are anything but progressional and above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I've just done year 2. Have only ever found ATI to be above board and upfront with everything. I did fail one exam and it was 100% my fault - I didn't put in the work beforehand.I got 47% so I do believe they try bring you up/mark fair. I presume the subjects you refer to are Business Management and Law&Ethics - many students see these as the "doss subjects" and don't put in the same level of effort. I passed both as did the majority of my class. Those that didn't, well it wasn't a massive surprise as they often went home after tax/accounting. I would completely disagree with your viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op, would you not be better off looking at the national pass mark and comparing it to the same exams last year?
    Isn't that the accountant thing to do rather than relying on hearsay?

I'm not familiar with the exams but the doss/theory subjects can have fairly high failure rates because people don't take them seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

What are the 2 subjects they passed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Anyone else get the ''' feeling''' it's just fees fees fees with ATI ?
    Who should we report this to ?

Wow.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Just because someone has studied a subject for years does not by definition mean that they are good at it, in fact it may indicate the opposite....

I have never hear anything to suggest that the ATI does not conduct it's exam process in a professional manner along the same lines as every other professional accounting body, nor can I see anything on google etc...

If you have factual evidence that the exams are being manipulated with a view to collecting additional fees, then that constitutes fraud and under S19 of the CJA 2011 you are obliged to report the matter to the Garda.

If not then you should be aware that bring the Institution into disrepute would constitute grounds for refusing you membership.

People work hard to obtain professional qualifications and the reputation of institutes to which the belong are important in their careers, do no expect them to react lightly to people making unsubstantiated claims that may impart their livelihood.

I agree. I know a guy who spent umpteen years trying to get the Tax Institute exams. Never managed it.

If you spent 5 minutes with him you would understand why.

And I also know from experience that all those institutes always try and get a marginal case across the line by going back over the exam scripts in detail to see if they could find an extra mark or 2 somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Will Yam wrote: »
    I agree. I know a guy who spent umpteen years trying to get the Tax Institute exams. Never managed it.

If you spent 5 minutes with him you would understand why.

And I also know from experience that all those institutes always try and get a marginal case across the line by going back over the exam scripts in detail to see if they could find an extra mark or 2 somewhere.

Completely agree. I got 50% in the management accounting exam. I would reckon the examiner did their best to get me over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Maz2016 wrote: »
    Completely agree. I got 50% in the management accounting exam. I would reckon the examiner did their best to get me over the line.

For my 3 finals in acca years ago i got something like 51, 53 and 58. I found them tough and was certain I'd failed one. I think i was dragged up in at least one exam.

Still, 3/3 ain't bad. And i use very little of at least 2 of the papers.

To say professional bodies fail people for exam fees is ludicrous actually. The annual subscription for qualified members is over twice that of students.

antix80 wrote: »
    For my 3 finals in acca years ago i got something like 51, 53 and 58. I found them tough and was certain I'd failed one. I think i was dragged up in at least one exam.

Still, 3/3 ain't bad. And i use very little of at least 2 of the papers.

To say professional bodies fail people for exam fees is ludicrous actually. The annual subscription for qualified members is over twice that of students.

That is precisely it. If they get you to pass they have a full sub paying member for 40 years or so.

If there are any shenanigans going on it’s more likely to be passing people they shouldn’t to protect the future income stream. Don’t think that happens though.

• Advertisement

On a (slightly) related topic has anyone any experience of ATI courses being cancelled for coming year.

I’m aware of one (ETB) based institution cancelling the ATI course - with 2 working days notice.

Is this cancellation unique or are other ETB institutions following suit, and have any of the private providers shut up shop?

Advertisement