Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ISP allows changing of DNS servers on their router (to OpenDNS)?

Options
  • 14-07-2020 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Anyone know which Home Broadband providers allow you to configure their routers to change the DNS server (and specifically use OpenDNS)?

I currently have Sky broadband and they don't allow users to change the DNS server on their routers as I want to use OpenDNS. See previous posts, .e.g. boards thread 2057976761.

I am not bothered chasing Sky over this, so I want to switch my ISP but want to check which of them allow users to change the DNS server (and use OpenDNS specifically). From my web searches there are some hints that Eir and Vodafone support it. But not certain. And there may be other providers that do. Sky may be in the minority by disallowing this.

If there is a complete list somewhere or your provider allows it, let me know here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

dbjohn wrote: »
    Anyone know which Home Broadband providers allow you to configure their routers to change the DNS server (and specifically use OpenDNS)?

I currently have Sky broadband and they don't allow users to change the DNS server on their routers as I want to use OpenDNS. See previous posts, .e.g. boards thread 2057976761.

I am not bothered chasing Sky over this, so I want to switch my ISP but want to check which of them allow users to change the DNS server (and use OpenDNS specifically). From my web searches there are some hints that Eir and Vodafone support it. But not certain. And there may be other providers that do. Sky may be in the minority by disallowing this.

If there is a complete list somewhere or your provider allows it, let me know here.

There are ways around it. They may not allow you change DNS server but I bet you can disable DHCP and use your own DHCP server on something like a raspberry pi with pihole
    https://pi-hole.net/
    https://www.smarthomebeginner.com/pi-hole-setup-guide/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I'm using OpenDNS with Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

a different option is to use something like Google Wifi where you can set it to use custom dns.. ive had a mesh system for few years now and they tend to give better house coverage. I have virgin broadband and have set the virgin box to be a modem only so all routing happens via my Google wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dbjohn

Thanks for the suggestions.

"pi-hole" - interesting. I haven't tried raspberry pi or pi-hole. Looks like a good bit of work. And at the moment I don't really have the time to investigate and go down that rabbit hole ;)

"Google Wifi" seems quicker/easier to achieve although I don't have a lot of experience in configuring that setup. And it may work for Virgin but maybe not for Sky. Seems to be mixed messages from a quick search online - some saying Sky router is locked down, no bridge mode or doesn't support it. But others giving some solutions. I'll keep it in mind. But still prefer switching ISP at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

It's easy to change the DNS in the Eir router. Also easy to switch off WiFi in the router, if you want to add your own mesh system. Strongly recommend a mesh system. I think the newer Eir Routers may support native Mesh, but I don't have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 emilrasyad

Even if you set your own dns, the ISP can still redirect any port 53 traffic to their own dns.
    better use DNSCrypt if you have your own dns server at home.

Advertisement