Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moh Ahmed 12.47 5k

• 14-07-2020 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

Canadian Moh Ahmed broke the Canadian 5k record over the week end running 12.47.
    This time puts him into the top 10 of all time over 5k and is an improvement of 16 seconds in 2 years, he broke 13 minutes last year for the 1st time, previous was 13.03.
    Big improvement at 29 years of age.

Great running to be fair.

The lock down and the lack of races certainly didn't effect his training

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/trackandfield/moh-ahmed-5000-record-1.5646263

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Fair play, that's unreal. He ran 12:58 before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Fair play, that's unreal. He ran 12:58 before.

Yeah last year. Hadn't broken 13 until then.
    Huge improvement..

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Dunno what to make of these BTC time trials. Some amazing times coming out the past 12 months or so but I wonder is part of this due to the fact where the whole team are effectively pace making 2-3 athletes.

Last year he was on the pacing duties for Woody Cincaid and the other lads who broke 13. While they are seen as huge breakthroughs I think the pacing element and shoe technology playing a significant role. I know there is always the possibility for more sinister insinuations but I think the set up can at least partly explain some of the huge jumps.

They are not having to react to racing variables but rather have everything set up to run as fast as possible. Will we see these times being ran in proper race conditions? probably not. How they race next year will be more of a metric to be honest than the intra squad TT's that they are running this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

KSU wrote: »
    Dunno what to make of these BTC time trials. Some amazing times coming out the past 12 months or so but I wonder is part of this due to the fact where the whole team are effectively pace making 2-3 athletes.

Last year he was on the pacing duties for Woody Cincaid and the other lads who broke 13. While they are seen as huge breakthroughs I think the pacing element and shoe technology playing a significant role. I know there is always the possibility for more sinister insinuations but I think the set up can at least partly explain some of the huge jumps.

They are not having to react to racing variables but rather have everything set up to run as fast as possible. Will we see these times being ran in proper race conditions? probably not. How they race next year will be more of a metric to be honest than the intra squad TT's that they are running this year.

I think in the current pandemic situation they're a good thing. It give athletes something to train for and keeps the motivation up.
    I'd agree with you that they don't resemble a through run race, they're very similar to the golden/diamond league races of the 90's early 00's when a lot of WR were set.

Certainly the pacing element will help to produce fast times. But it also has to be said some of these people weren't the front runners in respective races and were "pulled" to fast time previously.
    Interesting there was no mention of footwear used,

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Ceepo wrote: »
    Interesting there was no mention of footwear used,

Looks like majority ran in the alphaflys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GP3A-e4ByU&t=1961s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

KSU wrote: »
    Looks like majority ran in the alphaflys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GP3A-e4ByU&t=1961s

Are they not the Air Zoom Victory Spikes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Advertisement