Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

woops, messed up VCL detail

Options
  • 13-07-2020 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭

Hey,

I forgot to tell me chippy i had planned to put an intello vcl on my ceiling and he has counter battened already.

Got me thinking then is it a huge deal to just apply vcl over the battens to save redoing it.
    either way it's going to be penetrated with nails/screws which i believe are self sealing?
    and the insulation should still lay on it from above just with a batten every 600 or that.

It's just the ceiling so shouldnt be at much risk from penetrations once plaster boarded like a wall would be or am i missing some vital detail?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Why did you counter batten it? Recessed lights? That’s the reason the Vcl should be above the battens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

As per Bryan above and also just general electric cable runs. Every one will now need a penetration.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

They were old ceiling joists and at odd centers so mainly to strengthen them all up.
    only 2 down lighters and i have airtight covers for them

Any electrical or plumbing penetration will be a grommet or sealed with the recommended sealant but i see the benefit of having 1 electrical penetration and keeping the runs inside the vcl now

thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Will spots be installed before plasterboard, assuming not, plan now

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Think i will just add vcl to current battens and counter batten again. Have the height available and it's easier than removing and going again.

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement