Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Recommendation

Options
  • 13-07-2020 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭

Folks.

I am looking for suggestions please. The budget is 500-600 euro for a bike to be hot on the BTW scheme. It will be used as an about the town bike and journeys of no more than 5 miles. It won't be used off road. I already have a good egg road bike do don't need another. Although you have up to 1000 to spend on the scheme I can't justify spending that much on what I need the bike for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Something like a Cube Hyde might just about fit in that price range. Possibly too low budget for hub-gearing though.

I had a Canyon Urban a few years ago that was about that much new. 1x10 derailleur gearing and hydraulic disc brakes. Absolutely loved it and the only reason I got rid of it was that I couldn't find a set of mudguards to fit the 650b wheels aside from the stock Canyon recommended ones which cost 180€ or so.

If I was in the market for something similar again I'd go for 32-35mm tires on 700c wheels, hydraulic discs, 1x gearing (I really found this fantastic in town, who wants to be faffing about with a front derailleur at traffic lights) and mudguards as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭billyhead

Something like a Cube Hyde might just about fit in that price range. Possibly too low budget for hub-gearing though.

I had a Canyon Urban a few years ago that was about that much new. 1x10 derailleur gearing and hydraulic disc brakes. Absolutely loved it and the only reason I got rid of it was that I couldn't find a set of mudguards to fit the 650b wheels aside from the stock Canyon recommended ones which cost 180€ or so.

If I was in the market for something similar again I'd go for 32-35mm tires on 700c wheels, hydraulic discs, 1x gearing (I really found this fantastic in town, who wants to be faffing about with a front derailleur at traffic lights) and mudguards as standard.

The Canyon Urban is quite dear. The only version I can find online is the 8 and it's more than 2 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

billyhead wrote: »
    Folks.

I am looking for suggestions please. The budget is 500-600 euro for a bike to be hot on the BTW scheme. It will be used as an about the town bike and journeys of no more than 5 miles. It won't be used off road. I already have a good egg road bike do don't need another. Although you have up to 1000 to spend on the scheme I can't justify spending that much on what I need the bike for.

It depends what exactly you mean by town bike if you just using something to run errands id pick up something from adverts/donedeal, that doesnt look nice and wont be nicked.

If you want the nicest bike for the job if you like I'd be looking at a commuter with hydraulic discs (better stopping power), 1 x 10/11 drivetrain (lighter easier to maintain and has all the gears you need) and carbon forks. Might be hard to find with your budget but definitely dont get a rim brake bike.

You could also upgrade your road bike and convert your current road bike to a flat bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The Canyon Urban is quite dear. The only version I can find online is the 8 and it's more than 2 grand.

They must have discontinued the one I had - it was closer to 6-700 new. But I'd still look for a similar spec

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... It will be used as an about the town bike and journeys of no more than 5 miles....
    I'd be getting a nice single speed and I'd fit it with Tannus tyres. Practically maintenance free and puncture free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'd be getting a nice single speed and I'd fit it with Tannus tyres. Practically maintenance free and puncture free.

Any suggestions Wishbone or any other posters for a fixed gear bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

What about something like this?

https://dutchbikeshop.ie/gazelle-esprit-gents-3/

Internal gears, roller brakes, dynamo lights.

Its practical and as close to maintenance free as you can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Any suggestions Wishbone or any other posters for a fixed gear bike?
    From Funked Up Cycles in Dublin 8:

https://funkedup.com/irl/bicycle-street-swoon
    What about something like this?

https://dutchbikeshop.ie/gazelle-esprit-gents-3/

Internal gears, roller brakes, dynamo lights.

Its practical and as close to maintenance free as you can find.
    17.8kgs! :eek: That's twice the weight of a standard road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

From Funked Up Cycles in Dublin 8:

https://funkedup.com/irl/bicycle-street-swoon

17.8kgs! :eek: That's twice the weight of a standard road bike.

650 is a crazy price for that bike. If it's weight you're worried about I'd be steering clear of it.

The lightest wheel set available is 2.3kgs, the heaviest 3.7kg! you'd be better off spending 500 on a decent set of wheels and throwing them on an old steel frame pulled out of a garage!

Advertisement