Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed build

Options
  • 12-07-2020 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Hi, my brother is looking to build a shed on a quarter acre,he has consulted with his neighbour and she has no objection to it other than it be kept to the back of the site which he is happy to do, the shed will be 12x6 meters approx and have a max height of 4 meters, he wants a lean to roof, my question is will he have to apply for planning, is there any way to avoid going to the bother of planning such as building a shed that would be planning exempt, the shed is for storage only, he lives abroad and bought the site with the intention to building the shed specifically for long term storage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Planning required imho, domestic shed exemptions only apply when within an existing dwelling plot, no existing dwelling no exemptions, nevertheless, domestic shed exemption is a max of 25m2 which he is well exceeding. There are some agri exemptions alright to the best of my knowledge however he would need to be involved in argi to avail of same i would imagine, not well versed in the argi exemptions but maybe someone will be able to expand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Would an all steel erect shed with no block walls be classed the same as a concrete built when applying for planning, he's not trying to skirt any planning issues just trying to save time so he can make a start on it soon

• Subscribers Posts: 41,229 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Would an all steel erect shed with no block walls be classed the same as a concrete built when applying for planning, he's not trying to skirt any planning issues just trying to save time so he can make a start on it soon

It absolutely requires planning permission... and dont be surprised if its a very uphill application.

individual industrial type buildings on rural sites are a difficult argument

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Ok, thanks for replies, he will have to go for planning so it would seem

Advertisement