Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart watch For a 6 year old.

Options
  • 12-07-2020 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭

Hello

Herself is looking to get a smart watch for our 6.5 year old boy.

I’m not so sure on this. My thoughts are too young to be thinking about time and steps and all this.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Get him football boots or chess set or books or whatever he's into, he has no need for a smart watch

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Teach him to read a proper clock first.Save yourself loads of hassle when he gets to 3rd or 4th class maths.
    There is literally nothing else on a smart watch that a 6 year old would need.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,247 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If it’s going to cause an argument let her go ahead. He’ll lose either interest or the watch itself after a week or so. Don’t chip in.

Great opportunity for an auld ‘told you so’.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Terrible idea. A real watch would be so much better imo. Way too young for a smart watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

endacl wrote: »
    If it’s going to cause an argument let her go ahead. He’ll lose either interest or the watch itself after a week or so. Don’t chip in.

Great opportunity for an auld ‘told you so’.

This ^^^

My niece and nephew (7 and 10) were given some at Christmas. They were a novelty for a couple of weeks and then they lost all interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭daheff

I got these for my kids. Cheap and cheerful

https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/405794/dm-logistics

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bee06 wrote: »
    This ^^^

My niece and nephew (7 and 10) were given some at Christmas. They were a novelty for a couple of weeks and then they lost all interest.

Same here,
    All very interested in them to start with and then the whole idea died a death, they don't even wear them now,.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

We got a kids fitbit for our 8 year olds birthday and she heard from a friend (who I'm assuming was told by her parents) that it would get too hot and burn her if she wore it overnight. She remembered to put it on for 2 days tops. Never again :pac:

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We got the garmin vivofit jr for our 7yo last year- he had begged for it. I paid just over €40 on Amazon Prime I think.
    The Jr one is a very basic one - no way was he getting a smart watch - but this does monitor his activity targets, it's waterproof and it's got an app that you can create tasks/ chores and kids can earn coins that you redeem. Tbh, that was a bit abstract for him at his age so we reverted back to him getting actual coins for his piggy bank.

For pricier things like this our system is that he do extra chores to earn half the cost, and we meet him with half the money when he's saved up his half. That ensures that he REALLY wants it and wants to work for it. And after he got it, he really minded it because he remembers all the extra work he had to do to get it.
    There's one lad in his class that has a smart watch but he has a disability so it's more than likely he's got it for apps that integrate with his disability aids to help him in class rather than it being a cool toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Lumengg

I don't think that he's too young for a smartwatch. Just don't buy him the one which allows playing games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Lumengg

Well, I want to add that special smartwatches could be useful for him in order to customize his time management. I think children nowadays are too undisciplined so new technologies could really help parents to fix that problem. I bought one for my 6yo son and now he already knows how to value his time. You can read some proofs at https://findyoursmartwatch.com/most-rugged-smartwatches/ where the author explains the positive side of rugged smartwatches. So don't be afraid to present technologies to your children as this is the reality of our world.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

11yo niece just got one. She's a missing person now, head in her arm all day playing stupid games, no sense of etiquette or manners.

She did look vaguely concerned when I told her that the watch company was tracking her movements and biometric health information to sell to third parties.

Advertisement