Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staircase Install Cost

Options
  • 11-07-2020 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Looking to get a staircase installed into the attic.

I've been told stairs will cost about 1k to buy so wondering how much would be expected to pay for labour to install the stairs including a door at the top and studs etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,294 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are you including opening up the ceiling also to access the attic.
    Installing a stairs intoa ready opening is a whole different job to basically doing the attic conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

mickdw wrote: »
    Are you including opening up the ceiling also to access the attic.
    Installing a stairs intoa ready opening is a whole different job to basically doing the attic conversion.

Yes I will need the installer to open up the ceiling.

I'm planning on doing most if the conversion myself with exception to the stairs and velux windows

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looking to get a staircase installed into the attic.

I've been told stairs will cost about 1k to buy so wondering how much would be expected to pay for labour to install the stairs including a door at the top and studs etc

Is the attic in a bungalow or an existing 2 storey house?

Who’s doing the structural alterations. In any attic conversion I’ve done, the stairs is last, after the structural works and opening up.

It would appear you are doing it differently here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Gumbo wrote: »
    Is the attic in a bungalow or an existing 2 storey house?

Who’s doing the structural alterations. In any attic conversion I’ve done, the stairs is last, after the structural works and opening up.

It would appear you are doing it differently here?

It's a 2 story house, and the attic will be a non habitable space. There is no structural work needed with regards steels supports or adjustments to the roof, the attic its pretty much ready to go just cut out the opening end install the stairs.

I didnt think there was a specific sequence the work should be done in but only thing I can think of that could be useful to do before the stairs go in is bring up all the slabs and insulation boards while the ceiling opening is there.

The rest can be done at a later date by myself after the stairs is done and I can close the door to the attic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It's a 2 story house, and the attic will be a non habitable space. There is no structural work needed with regards steels supports or adjustments to the roof, the attic its pretty much ready to go just cut out the opening end install the stairs.

I didnt think there was a specific sequence the work should be done in but only thing I can think of that could be useful to do before the stairs go in is bring up all the slabs and insulation boards while the ceiling opening is there.

The rest can be done at a later date by myself after the stairs is done and I can close the door to the attic

Opening up a 2 storey house with an accessible third storey here so I think who ever is providing you with your professional guidance needs a chatting too.

No structural supports? Was it done previously?
    There are serious fire regulations to comply with now, have they been done?

What kind of door are you putting in the attic?
    How will you achieve the fire rated construction from 1st to attic?
    What self closing deviates are you using in the existing house and do they comply with the EN requirements?

Who is providing you with the spec for these decisions?

• Advertisement
Advertisement