Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning Single Glazed Windows into Double Glazed

Options
  • 11-07-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this should be in some sub-forum as I'm new to this section of Boards (won't be my last now!).

We're Sale Agreed on a house, we only coped that some of the windows are Single Glazed even though they are only 10-11 years old. It was mentioned that the slips around the glass itself could possibly be popped out and the glass replaced with Double Glazing as low cost solution. Anyone any ideas in here? I did contact two Window Glazing companies but they recommended to go to the fitters but unfortunately that's not possible. I've attached two screenshots.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

It would be easy to get the double glazed panels made up but you'll have to source thinner 'slips' which is where you could run into problems.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Thanks Dave, so many be easier to just replace the lot rather than trying to do a patch job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Just bear in mind that if you are trying to make your house warmer, windows are normally the worst in terms of return on investment.

Advertisement