Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to plan kitchen/home renovation from overseas

Options
  • 11-07-2020 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I have been living in Australia for the past 10 years and was to return home in April but COVID put a stop to all of that, now the dust seems to be settling slightly I am looking to start planning my travels again.
    I was to renovate my family home when I returned but with the delays and everything I would really love to have as much as I can pre-planned so that when I get back I hit the ground running.

The first point of attack will be the kitchen.
    I plan on ripping out pretty much everything in the room and starting fresh (apart from the modern fridge, oven, gas hob and stove).
    I will be ripping up all of the floor tiles and ripping the wall tiles off. I plan on renting a kango with a wide flat chisel bit for this but I am open to other suggestions that will make this a smoother process.
    What is the best way to do this to try and save the wall to just keep it bare (sand & cement plaster) or am I looking at stripping the plaster with the wall tiles and re-plaster?

The kitchen will be redesigned and I am looking to get a nice light oak kitchen with an island. I cant see solid oak being a realistic option due to cost but I may be wrong.
    As I have been away for 10 years I don't even know where to start looking for a kitchen of quality with a realistic price tag! And what would that price tag be? Not including any appliances or anything.

Rough estimate of the kitchen will be 5m long on one side and 2.5m long on the other side (Gallery Layout Kitchen) with a 900mm x 2m long island. I should be getting exact measurements in the next few days.

Recap of my questions:
    1. What is the best way to remove floor tiles to re-tile?

2. What is the best way to remove wall tiles (half wall height) and have a finish good enough to just repaint? or is this not possible without replastering?

3. Where is the best place to get a cost effective light oak kitchen (skeleton, doors, good laminate worktop with matching splash back). Doors that doesn't look like complete plastic with ironed on laminate that will peel off after a few weeks.
    I'm aware I need to spend money on the kitchen to get quality but I don't have EUR20,000 to spend on a dream kitchen!

Next step is the theatre I'm building so would like to get through the kitchen to the fun part! :-)

Advertisement