Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which springboard course

Options
  • 10-07-2020 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have no qualifications in accounting apart from ACCA F1 but have worked in accounting as an accounts assistant for a good few years until i was made unemployed.

There are 2 courses i'm trying to choose from:

https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8241

or

https://springboardcourses.ie/details/8002

There is very little details on the Athlone IT course but it looks interesting or should i just continue with the ACCA. I wish i had continued studying ACCA while i was working now. Most jobs are looking for some sort of IATI qualification or something.

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,029 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

do you want to eventually go on to study ACCA/ACA?

on the face of it, the ACCA Diploma in Accounting and Business seems to be regarded better (due to transfer to ACCA):

you can transfer to ACCA (Students who successfully complete the Diploma in Accounting and Business via the Foundation Level route can then transfer to the ACCA qualification.) Not sure of exemptions.

The 2nd course is more geared towards a payroll/admin role.

I suppose it depends on where you want to be in 5 years. If ACCA qualified I would suggest taking that up again.

all the best in the studies whatever you choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Thanks for reply. Haven't thought about doing all ACCA exams. It's hard going i'd say. I thought about continuing with them might open up more opportunities though. It looks like course will not start until January for F2 and F3. Do you know if it's possible to self study for F4 and do exam before completing F2 and F3? I'm getting mixed reports online

• Registered Users Posts: 16,029 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply. Haven't thought about doing all ACCA exams. It's hard going i'd say. I thought about continuing with them might open up more opportunities though. It looks like course will not start until January for F2 and F3. Do you know if it's possible to self study for F4 and do exam before completing F2 and F3? I'm getting mixed reports online

i have no experience with ACCA so cannot speak for that. maybe someone with the qualification will weigh in?

if you are pursuing it (or whatever qualification), you will need to commit to completing the course. finding a job otherwise will be tough (or until such a time that your experience outweighs having the qualification).

these qualifications for the most part are regarded the same. if you are interested in pursuing a career in accountancy, i would look towards the one that offers you the most exemptions (or read: the least amount of exams to sit).

the exams will be tough. I did science in college and took up accounting at ~25 (no jobs in science at the time). if you are good with numbers, and knuckle down, most people are well able for them.

with all the above, i think there is a huge gap for competent bookkeepers and payroll operators. if they are on point, the cost of accounts should dramatically reduce because there's not a huge amount of work to do.

Advertisement