Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT vs Leaving Cert/HPAT for Medicine

Options
  • 09-07-2020 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone!

So I'm a 25 year old graduate with a 1:1 in Psychology. I'd like to study medicine and I'm trying to identify the best access route for me. I have absolutely no science background.

I'm trying to decide between attempting the GAMSAT, or repeating the Leaving Cert/HPAT in one year as a mature learner in a grinds school.

Most people online seem to go for the GEM option and I feel like a little crazy for considering the Leaving Cert - however to me it seems more doable because the level of knowledge required is much lower, it's familiar, and I'd have the support of teachers.

I already have a strong second language in Spanish and I've always had a high proficiency in English. I would have to do Biology and Chemistry while studying for the GAMSAT anyway, and that just leaves Maths, Geography ( I originally got a B) and a bare pass in O level Irish.

My current plan is to repeat the Leaving Cert and HPAT in one year - if I don't get in I'll repeat the HPAT and attempt the GAMSAT the following year. Given the 1 year difference between the undergrad and grad med courses available, this would result in me graduating when I'm 31 regardless. Presuming that I ever get in, of course!

I'd really appreciate advice and insight. I can't find any evidence of people opting to pick the Leaving Cert over the GAMSAT when both options are available to them. That also makes me wonder - does being GAMSAT-eligible preclude me from applying for undergrad entry?

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comments

Advertisement