Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coding Tutor needed

• 08-07-2020 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all
    Anyone available to help my husband with coding for college? He needs some tutoring - can zoom or whatever is easiest.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

"Coding" is a very wide concept. Do you mean programming in a specific language, or perhaps in a pseudo language? Or maybe it's generic, maybe something to do with algorithms?

A little more specificity would go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tracizzle777

Good point - not my area! He said it's to write a web app in Java. Can you pm on this?

Thanks for repsonding!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

All the information is out there, the internet if full of tutorials on every aspect of development. If he needs someone to lead him by the nose, then I'm not sure coding is for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Good point - not my area! He said it's to write a web app in Java. Can you pm on this?

Thanks for repsonding!

You're more likely to get more support if you specify what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭antimatterx

All the information is out there, the internet if full of tutorials on every aspect of development. If he needs someone to lead him by the nose, then I'm not sure coding is for him.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Sometimes people just need help, nothing wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

I could maybe give him Java grinds, I wouldn't want to design his college project for him as that would be cheating but if there is a topic he needs help with I could give him a one hour lesson on it for example. I am certified in Java and work as a Software Developer.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Finding the learning resources and being able to think for oneself are necessary skills to develop for anyone learning how to program.

It's just how it is. If he is totally lost at sea, then I or many here will help out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I wouldn't necessarily agree with this. Sometimes people just need help, nothing wrong with it.

Seem like you are talking about someone who is learning to program, but is not able to come on to a developer forum and ask a few questions.... not a good start really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Right, I'm 4 days late to this party. What your husband should do, is sign up and discuss his project here, show what he has accomplished so far and where he's stuck. Then we could continue to provide advice.

Otherwise, if this becomes an ongoing zoom session, it could fall down the slippery slope of doing most of his project for him and he winds up learning nothing. I had a lad try and pull that one on me before, and I had to nip that one fairly quick.

Advertisement