Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being replaced - what are the rules?

Options
  • 08-07-2020 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

Can an employer hire a company to do your job, without telling you or discussing options with you, then let you go citing the reason as downturn in the economy?

This hasn't happened yet but I have reason to believe my employer may be trying to do something similar to myself and another colleague and I would just like to have some idea of what he can and can't do.

I have worked there for nearly 3 years and was never given a contract, neither was my colleague so I don't know how that effects us either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Vonnie14 wrote: »
    Can an employer hire a company to do your job, without telling you or discussing options with you

Basically, YES.
    Vonnie14 wrote: »
    then let you go citing the reason as downturn in the economy?

Basically, NO. if they replace you with a new hire, or outsource your role, then you should be entitled to redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Basically, NO. if they replace you with a new hire, or outsource your role, then you should be entitled to redundancy.

Technically I think you should be TUPE'd over to the new company. I've gone through it myself in an outsourcing situation.

If the role was changed significantly as part of the outsource so that the same role/level technically didn't exist, then redundancy could come into play.

Even if they "let you go citing a downturn in the economy" they have to pay redundancy as you've been there over 2 years - written contract or not doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If they make a significant change to the Responsibilities of the contractor being brought on them it would be hard to make a case that your specific role still exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Basically, YES.

I don’t believe you can be made redundant if your job is still being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ted1 wrote: »
    I don’t believe you can be made redundant if your job is still being done.

You can if its being done by someone who is also doing other things.

• Advertisement
Advertisement