Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check if my 5 year BTW Scheme is over?

Options
  • 08-07-2020 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Apologies if this is either a silly or inappropriate question for this forum or both!

I purchased a MTB on the BTW scheme a few years ago but can't recall exactly what year an my LBS where I purchased it has since closed. To complicate things so has my old employer :o

Does anyone know of a way to look up when the BTW scheme was last availed of using my PPS number or similar? If not I assume the only alternative is to ring Rev Comm, give them my details and ask them to confirm?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,636 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think there's any central reporting, i don't think the employer has to actually report the transaction to revenue. they just pay you €X less that year.

you don't happen to still have payslips from then do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

i don't think there's any central reporting, i don't think the employer has to actually report the transaction to revenue. they just pay you €X less that year.

you don't happen to still have payslips from then do you?

Thanks Magicbastarder (great username!) but no I don't have wage slips that old.

I think I purchased the MTB in 2016 as I have a downloaded manual for it which Win Explorer says was last modified in Feb 2016 so if that was downloaded around the time I got the bike (which is logical) I guess that means I'd be into a new 5 year period from Jan 2021 which would suit as I'm looking to buy a replacement for my 7 year old road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Why not just go through the motions of applying again. I'm sure, if you are not eligible, you will be informed and they will possibly provide a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Why not just go through the motions of applying again. I'm sure, if you are not eligible, you will be informed and they will possibly provide a date.

As far as I know, if you've changed employer then there will be no record of the previous purchase. The new employer has no way of finding out as it's not something that's recorded by Revenue.

Obviously there's an obligation on the employee not to abuse the system which I'm sure is why the OP is asking.

crosstownk wrote: »
    ... as it's not something that's recorded by Revenue....
    mmmmm.....Interesting.

(In the OP's case, it's hardly abuse even if slightly outside the rules although I take the point that it would be open to abuse by those frequently changing jobs).

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    ... but no I don't have wage slips that old....
    I have wage slips from my employer going back to the mid 1980's. I'm a bit nerdy about such things. :o

(In the OP's case, it's hardly abuse even if slightly outside the rules although I take the point that it would be open to abuse by those frequently changing jobs).

It sounds like the OP is in the latter half of the fifth year so he/she should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

OP, you’re good to go.

ted1 wrote: »
    OP, you’re good to go.

Deadly, now my favourite bit, choosing between a Giant Defy Advanced 2, a Cube Attain GTC SL and a Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

If you bought in 2016 then you can go again in 2021

I'm due to go again in Jan as well.

It will be my third time.

• Advertisement

Deadly, now my favourite bit, choosing between a Giant Defy Advanced 2, a Cube Attain GTC SL and a Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 :-)

Plenty of us here can help you spend your money :D

I'd be leaning toward the Cube.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd perhaps hold off until end of this month when the government announce the recovery package for this country, potential for an upgrade to current offering.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Plenty of us here can help you spend your money :D

I'd be leaning toward the Cube.

The Cube is definitely the favourite, it's great value for money and I'm coming from a 2014 Cube Peloton Pro which never let me down once and continues to be a comfortable, stable and enjoyable ride. If only it had disc brakes I don't think I'd ever change it but I've had a few hairy downhill moments over the winter months which put the frighteners on me.

Being the wrong side of 50, almost 100Kg and relying on rim brakes to control / stop a 40-50km descent on country roads in cold wet conditions is a disaster waiting to happen. I've disc brakes on the MTB I use for leisure cycling on family holidays and getaways etc in summer and the difference is night and day.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I was in the same situation 8 weeks ago. I went with the defy. Can't fault it. The cube frame is very stiff and not as comfortable. The defy has d fuse technology in the seat post and stem and it sails over our rough Irish roads and gravel trails.

The cube has ultegra while the defy has 105.105 is more durable so unless you are racing and want to save a few grams of weight, it's more than enough. Lifetime warranty on the defy frame too. And it's fast, very fast, I can get it up to 50klm not a bother on a flat in no time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i just google the last time i bought a bike through bike to work. It was delivered on 31st Dec 2014! The old Ribble is getting long in the tooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

The Cube is definitely the favourite, it's great value for money and I'm coming from a 2014 Cube Peloton Pro which never let me down once and continues to be a comfortable, stable and enjoyable ride. If only it had disc brakes I don't think I'd ever change it but I've had a few hairy downhill moments over the winter months which put the frighteners on me.

Being the wrong side of 50, almost 100Kg and relying on rim brakes to control / stop a 40-50km descent on country roads in cold wet conditions is a disaster waiting to happen. I've disc brakes on the MTB I use for leisure cycling on family holidays and getaways etc in summer and the difference is night and day.

If you're Dublin based and want to try a spin on mine, you're welcome

https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-carbonngrey-2019/

wheelo01 wrote: »
    If you're Dublin based and want to try a spin on mine, you're welcome

https://www.cube.eu/en/2019/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain/cube-attain-gtc-sl-disc-carbonngrey-2019/

That's a very kind offer wheelo01, I appreciate it.

If for some reason I'm unable to take a spin on one the LBS have in stock I might just take you up on that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cube or Canyon, Defy is a bit meh, everyone has one.

Think I'm going to have to add the Orbea AVANT H30-D to the mix, looks like serious value for money at €1,699.

Definitely between the €1,999 Cube Attain GTC SL and the Orbea.

Problem I now have is finding somewhere that has both in stock so I can try them out side by side.

Looks like the Cube is out of stock everywhere and the Orbea won't be launched and in stock until 2021 :-(

Advertisement