Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brown tax book

Options
  • 07-07-2020 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

I bought a vintage (70's) agi vehicle off a guy about 3 hours drive from me . both he and I didn't know the new owner registration procedure. i took the tax book home etc. on checking the book it was not registered in his name as it was he says afterwards not driven on the road hence not registered. the original owners name is on the book and the only name on it and I'd say he's probably deceased but also i was told there were at least one other owner previous to the guy i bought it from. so what do i do? not sure if previous owner will sign log book as he didn't reg it himself... the guy i bought from is straight out etc he just had no use for the vehicle anymore . if he signs it then i assume motor tax office will say he's not the registered owner etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You have the vehicle.
    You have the Book.
    Once you get an RF200 form all you have to do is fill in the 'relevant' details (we both know what that means).
    Bring it in to your local Motor Tax Office and it will be transferred into your name and you will retain possession of the Brown Book.
    They wont be checking RIP.ie in the Tax office.....they really don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

^ Literally just done this today, all fine no questions asked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Yes, that's exactly what you do.
    I tried to do this the correct way once, I took it to the counter of the local tax office without the previous owners signature (who was probably long dead) and asked what I should do.
    I got a right dirty attitude from yer wan for putting her on the spot by her having to try to tell me to sign it myself without actually telling me.
    She then phoned me later with some nonsense question which she already knew the answer to just to show me she was checking on me.
    Funny really.

Advertisement