Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time colour advice

Options
  • 06-07-2020 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Just looking for advice on hair colouring. I’ve never had a colour (mid 30s so I did well) and have a fair few greys appearing now. Still not quite ready to commit to colouring - I don’t see the greys myself but others have commented! So at my next trip to hairdresser I’m wondering what do I ask for?

I won’t be getting a colour but want to enquire about it. I have no idea what I’d like to get - am I beat off going in with pictures? I know what I didn’t want - streaks! But I would like really blended natural looking hide the greys ColourI got - but it there a name for this? I wash my hair every second day too would this have an impact on the colour? We have really hard water so I know this might affect it.

Sorry totally clueless! Any help would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Split to new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

I think whatever colour you're interested in, you should try it in semi-permanent first. That way it will wash out after a couple of weeks if you didn't like the look of it. Of course that will only work if you're not looking to go lighter than your natural colour. There are some apps out there - I think L'oreal have one? - that allow you to upload a pic of yourself and do a virtual try on of their colours.

Hard water will turn definitely hair brassy, especially blondes, but Color Wow have a product called dream filter that you can use to lift the minerals out of your hair or you can put a filter on your shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I think whatever colour you're interested in, you should try it in semi-permanent first. That way it will wash out after a couple of weeks if you didn't like the look of it. Of course that will only work if you're not looking to go lighter than your natural colour. There are some apps out there - I think L'oreal have one? - that allow you to upload a pic of yourself and do a virtual try on of their colours.

Hard water will turn definitely hair brassy, especially blondes, but Color Wow have a product called dream filter that you can use to lift the minerals out of your hair or you can put a filter on your shower.

A semi permanent in the hair dressers won't wash out like that. Plus it can stain hair. If you are using a really dark dye.

OP...Ask for a demi permanent ...or a wash in wash out. It might not actually cover your greys tho. Be sure the hairdresser knows you only want it for a couple of weeks. Ask if it is possible to get coverage for your grays with demi permanent.

You need developer about level 20 ( hydrogen peroxide) to open the cuticle to put down and distribute color. Its not just for lightening.

Lower than this (maybe 15) just distributes color over the cuticle ..but it can often just wash off as the hairdresser washes your hair leaving nothing...exposing greys.

If you want to cover grey permanently ...the hairdresser will probably use 'semi permanent dye ' anyway ...its more natural looking and it will last prob six months.

Also semi permanent dye sometimes oxidizes as much as permanent dye.

You can ask your hairdresser but semi permanent doesn't always wash out quickly if you don't like it.

I had mine professionally done with semi permanent dye about 2 years ago in a hairdresser's ...then i wanted to go back to blonde .nine months later it was still as dark as ever..i had to BLEACH the dye out of my hair.

I would say a picture would be a great idea OP. Plus be specific about how long you want this to last.

Advertisement