Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ceramic coating on new car - yea or nay?

Options
  • 06-07-2020 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭

I know there is a Car Detailing forum but I'd also like to get some input from people here who might be in the know as I have zero experience of it.

So, is it worth getting a ceramic coating on a new car assuming its kept for more than 3 years (more likely 5+ actually)?

Quote of €800+ to get it done. Is that in the right ball park or robbery?

Any recommendations in the Cork area?
    (above quote is from a well known Cork city northside detailer)

Will it really make a difference or is it just for people with OCD?! :)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

KCross wrote: »
    I know there is a Car Detailing forum but I'd also like to get some input from people here who might be in the know as I have zero experience of it.

So, is it worth getting a ceramic coating on a new car assuming its kept for more than 3 years (more likely 5+ actually)?

Quote of €800+ to get it done. Is that in the right ball park or robbery?

Any recommendations in the Cork area?
    (above quote is from a well known Cork city northside detailer)

Will it really make a difference or is it just for people with OCD?! :)

Detailing forum is probably best place to ask really. I know there's at least 1 guy on here from cork. Foxhole Norman is his boards name iirc. Can't be too sure where he's based... Mallow I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Detailing forum is probably best place to ask really.

I know, but as I said I didn’t want to start there. Would prefer some independent opinion first.

A bit like coming to an EV forum and asking if an EV is a good or a bad thing... you’re going to get some biased replies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Following this thread too, interested in options in the Cork/Munster area aswell :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yes I’d do it if I was ever buying brand new.

€800 is expensive as there should be little to no paint correction on a new car.

Brian in Spirit done an M3P recently using An alternative product for €500 as there was no correction involved.

Ceramic is only as good as the installer and prep is key. Bad prep on the car and it won’t last a year. Bad product use and it won’t last a year.

It needs to be cured indoors so stay away from Anyone doing it in their garden or a car park.

Good maintenance is key also.
    Safe car shampoo.
    Safe wash technique to prevent damage.
    Top up with appropriate quick detailer etc

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I considered doing it when I bought my new Ioniq. The car will look better for longer and washing it is easier. But your money is depreciated as soon as you have it done, you won't get a cent back for it if you sold the car a year later. I decided against doing it.
    Gumbo wrote: »
    €800 is expensive as there should be little to no paint correction on a new car.

Except if the new car is a Tesla :p My best mate had his Tesla Model 3 done (not in this country) and the full job cost him two grand all in (including the wheels) for a top of the range treatment. Car looks fantastic, I have to grant him that. But ouch at that spend!

So what new car are you getting, ID.3? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

MX Valeting would be yer man in Cork. He has worked on my cars a few years now with a paint correction and ceramic coat plus a annual forecourt valet and ceramic inspection. He did my Model 3 and he really highlighted a lot of issues with the paint. He gives you a print out of the paint surfaces for the car and keeps it on record. The job would have to be done at his workshop but the annual check and clean he does call to your home.

800 would be a rough price to get you a paint correction and the ceramic coat. I promise you that the job is of the highest quality and the car paint is stunning after and will last for years.

unkel wrote: »
    I considered doing it when I bought my new Ioniq. The car will look better for longer and washing it is easier. But your money is depreciated as soon as you have it done, you won't get a cent back for it if you sold the car a year later.

Yea, I’ve no expectation of getting any money “back” but I’m willing to spend a few quid if it keeps it better for longer.

Just wondering if it’s worth it or if there are cheaper options that are nearly as good. I don’t need perfection.

Current cars are getting a lot of tar spots from our rural roads and I’m thinking the ceramic would prevent that and make washing in general easier.

And yea, probably ID.3.

Yea, I’ve no expectation of getting any money “back” but I’m willing to spend a few quid if it keeps it better for longer.

Just wondering if it’s worth it or if there are cheaper options that are nearly as good. I don’t need perfection.

Current cars are getting a lot of tar spots from our rural roads and I’m thinking the ceramic would prevent that and make washing in general easier.

And yea, probably ID.3.

With regards the tar spots.
    The ceramic will protect the base layer but you’ll still get the tar.

In theory it should be easily removed as the tar will stick to the ceramic rather than the paint clear coat.

There’s some tar removers that are ceramic safe to an extent but you wouldn’t want to be using tar remover or iron x on a weekly basis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No, I’d just carry on what I currently do, hand detail myself regularly with two deep cleans/waxes a year

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If your into detailing and cleaning your car don't. If you've no interest in it bar washing it every so often then yes it's worth it keeps it looking great for you. After all it's your car.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    If your into detailing and cleaning your car don't. If you've no interest in it bar washing it every so often then yes it's worth it keeps it looking great for you. After all it's your car.

This is good advice too.
    I’m into detailing, not in a big way but enough that my power washer is permanently plumbed into my covered side entrance. My snow foam, buckets, and everything I need is on a shelf in said side entrance along with my 20m Retractable wall mounted hose reel so I can pull into the garden and be wshing with 1 minute :)

But I don’t have a ceramic coating either. I deem it just as good to wash every 2 weeks. Dry and coat with a good quick detailer such as Reflect QD or Maguire’s Hybrid Ceramic spray. The car beeds constantly and nearly every wash is contactless due to the consistency of washing and coating.

So yeah, if your into washing it yourself, there are other options.

listermint wrote: »
    If you've no interest in it bar washing it every so often then yes it's worth it keeps it looking great for you.

That’s closer to who I am.

I care, but not to the point of washing the car every week, but when I do wash it I want it to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

krissovo wrote: »
    MX Valeting would be yer man in Cork. .

Definitely worth the money especially if you are lazy like me and will never wax a car...+1 as regards MX Valeting, he did a super job on a 330e for me a while back..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

All this stuff supermarket trolley dent proof?
    :)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No.

Definitely worth the money especially if you are lazy like me and will never wax a car...+1 as regards MX Valeting, he did a super job on a 330e for me a while back..

Is that yours on his website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Nah it not a force field, it will just provide the top layer a big of extra protection and make it a bit more slippery so dirt doesn't stick to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Is that yours on his website?

It was, had to flog in with the surprise arrival of the 3rd :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

James Downes here, thanks so much everyone for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Advertisement