Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive way job

Options
  • 06-07-2020 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

My drive is roughly 60 sqm with about 40 of that cobble and the other 20 odd top soil.

Im looking to get stone with a granite cobble surround put down. But, not a builder or paver to be got until at least October .

So im considering the job my self.

There will probably need to be a fair amount of excavation done, and all cobbles lifted dosposed of etc. So probably a digger needs to be brought in.

Too big a job to do my self?

Im thinking 150mil hard core sub base tapped down, gravel stabilising mats on top and then 14 mil gold quartz.

Cobble surround laid on a bed of sand and cement and gals filed with jointing sand.

What am i missing? A contractor? 😂

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

thehamo wrote: »
    My drive is roughly 60 sqm with about 40 of that cobble and the other 20 odd top soil.

Im looking to get stone with a granite cobble surround put down. But, not a builder or paver to be got until at least October .

So im considering the job my self.

There will probably need to be a fair amount of excavation done, and all cobbles lifted dosposed of etc. So probably a digger needs to be brought in.

Too big a job to do my self?

Im thinking 150mil hard core sub base tapped down, gravel stabilising mats on top and then 14 mil gold quartz.

Cobble surround laid on a bed of sand and cement and gals filed with jointing sand.

What am i missing? A contractor? 😂

Any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What's wrong with the cobbles? I'd love granite cobbles, but they're bloody expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Lumen wrote: »
    What's wrong with the cobbles? I'd love granite cobbles, but they're bloody expensive.

sorry, cobblelock more so than cobbles.

Theyre down well over 20 years and just unpleasant looking, weeds growing out of them at a rate of knots plus only half the drive is done, so looking to get the whole drive/front car accessable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, did you get any further with this? Did you use the gravel stabilising mats?

Advertisement