Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a job while on temporary lay off..

Options
  • 05-07-2020 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Not so much a problem, just looking for advice in case this scenario happens..

So if you're on temp lay off due to covid and told that you're not going to have work until the 2nd week in August. Then if you you get offered a job and the new role are stuck for staff. So they would like the new employee to start as soon as possible. Is there really any need to give notice in the old job.

The danger I think is, if you can't guarantee to start shortly after being offered the job. It may not be offered. Which would be disappointing, as this is a job that I have been waiting to apply for since graduating college in 2017..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

job seeker wrote: »
    Not so much a problem, just looking for advice in case this scenario happens..

So if you're on temp lay off due to covid and told that you're not going to have work until the 2nd week in August. Then if you you get offered a job and the new role are stuck for staff. So they would like the new employee to start as soon as possible. Is there really any need to give notice in the old job.

The danger I think is, if you can't guarantee to start shortly after being offered the job. It may not be offered. Which would be disappointing, as this is a job that I have been waiting to apply for since graduating college in 2017..

Couldn’t you just give your notice now while you are temporarily laid off?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Dav010 wrote: »
    Couldn’t you just give your notice now while you are temporarily laid off?

I haven't actually been given the job yet nor gone for the interview yet. I am just trying to plan ahead.. I am kind of trying to keep my current job as a safety net if this new job doesn't actually happen. To enable me to pay for rent and bills..

I haven't actually been given the job yet nor gone for the interview. I am just trying to plan ahead.. I am kind of trying to keep my current job as a safety net if this new job doesn't actually happen. To enable me to pay for rent and bills..

In that case, if you are temporarily laid off and your job is still there, just give the notice in your contract of employment when you get offered the job. If you voluntarily leave your job now, as far as I’m aware, you are not entitled to Covid payments.

In that case, if you are temporarily laid off and your job is still there, just give the notice in your contract of employment when you get offered the job. If you voluntarily leave your job now, as far as I’m aware, you are not entitled to Covid payments.

Yes! That's what I was thinking. Two weeks would be my notice period. I guess the new job would respect that I give notice. It wouldn't look good to a new employer if I didn't.. I just kinda assumed that due to being at home on temporary lay off. They wouldn't miss me anyway. But that don't make it right either.. Thanks for your advice..:)

Yes! That's what I was thinking. Two weeks would be my notice period. I guess the new job would respect that I give notice. It wouldn't look good to a new employer if I didn't.. I just kinda assumed that due to being at home on temporary lay off. They wouldn't miss me anyway. But that don't make it right either.. Thanks for your advice..:)

There are a couple of things to bare in mind:

• All employers understand that notice periods are the norm, if your new employer thinks you walked out on your current job, they may fear that you will do the same to them.
    • You never know when you might need a reference from your current employer. Often applicants don’t want new employers to contact their current employer, but will be ok about contacting a previous one.
    • Your current employer may be happy enough, due to current economic conditions, for you to change employers. A good reference may be happily forthcoming.
    • Having said all that, at the end of the day, if this is the job you really want, go for it.

• Advertisement

There are a couple of things to bare in mind:

• All employers understand that notice periods are the norm, if your new employer thinks you walked out on your current job, they may fear that you will do the same to them.
    • You never know when you might need a reference from your current employer. Often applicants don’t want new employers to contact their current employer, but will be ok about contacting a previous one.
    • Your current employer may be happy enough, due to current economic conditions, for you to change employers. A good reference may be happily forthcoming.
    • Having said all that, at the end of the day, if this is the job you really want, go for it.

That is great advice! Thank you I appreciate it.. As for the new job! What is for you won't pass you and all that..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I did this.
    So because i was furloughed i didn't have to work my notice as they'd have managed without me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Go for the interview and see how you get one. Hopefully you will get the role and then you can let your current employer know that you have found a new role and wont be returning, offer to go in and do a handover if need be and ask them what your notice period is - doesn't make sense for it to be 2 weeks if you are just going to be sitting at home and not working - they might be relieved to have one less wage to worry about as things will be tight for many companies as we start to open up again . Best of luck

I did this.
    So because i was furloughed i didn't have to work my notice as they'd have managed without me.

Yeah that makes sense, thank you! Good luck with the new job..

messrs wrote: »
    Go for the interview and see how you get on.

Hopefully you will get the role and then you can let your current employer know that you have found a new role and wont be returning, offer to go in and do a handover if need be and ask them what your notice period is

- doesn't make sense for it to be 2 weeks if you are just going to be sitting at home and not working

- they might be relieved to have one less wage to worry about as things will be tight for many companies as we start to open up again . Best of luck

Yeah, the dead line for applications is the 15th. I stated on the job spec that the position will be filled shortly after interviews are held.

Thank you. The handover makes sense, however, it's a min wage job. So there isn't much too it at all.

I have been there since 04/2018 so it's likely that it would be a months notice. That's true, this company saves money at every opportunity possible. So that's fair enough. It's part of it I guess.. I will see how it goes anyway, I know it's quite early to be asking these questions about notice. However, I just wanted to have that advice. Should things go my way. Thank you!

• Advertisement

Hi all just an update! Still waiting for an interview. I got a email on Sep 23rd, inviting me to an interview and was told I will be contacted in due course.
    The reason it's taking this long is because it's a HSE position and Covid obvisously isn't helping either! So I am being told that I will be resuming normal work from next week.. So gotta wait and see I guess.! :)

Advertisement