Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underfloor heating upstairs and insulation to floor

Options
  • 04-07-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Building a house, A2 rated, A2W underflooring heating down stairs, MHRV and went with low temp rads upstairs but decided to maybe put underfloor upstairs.

Got price back from builder and its only €500 + vat extra to put in the underfloor upstairs. Question is do I need insulation now on the first floor as well, I have Ducon concrete slabs and my builder is saying that since its a concrete floor and its within the envelope there is no need. If I do put in insulation obviously it will cost more.

I am thinking he's right and there is no need as any heat lost will be within the building anyway. House will be airtight as well.

Thoughts?

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Hi,

Building a house, A2 rated, A2W underflooring heating down stairs, MHRV and went with low temp rads upstairs but decided to maybe put underfloor upstairs.

Got price back from builder and its only €500 + vat extra to put in the underfloor upstairs. Question is do I need insulation now on the first floor as well, I have Ducon concrete slabs and my builder is saying that since its a concrete floor and its within the envelope there is no need. If I do put in insulation obviously it will cost more.

I am thinking he's right and there is no need as any heat lost will be within the building anyway. House will be airtight as well.

Thoughts?

No need for insulation upstairs. I'd put the underfloor upstairs. It's a more comfortable heat and cleaner look. You don't have to worry about where furniture or radiators are either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

500 for what exactly?
    Say 750 sq feet upstairs?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

500 for what exactly?
    Say 750 sq feet upstairs?

The 500+vat is just the extra over to now put in underfloor instead of low temp rads. I have 97sqm upstairs or just a touch over 1000sqft

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Does that include manifolds and Is there any change to heat pump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

BryanF wrote: »
    Does that include manifolds and Is there any change to heat pump

Yeah (I presume so!) I'm only pouring the foundation next week so I'm early on so the change is easily made.

• Advertisement
Advertisement