Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

UK transport recommendation

• 03-07-2020 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭ SmartinMartin

Hi folks, hopefully completing purchase of a car in Lincolnshire today. I was going to fly over and drive it back next week, but between the flight, train, drive and boat back I feel it would be just too dangerous in these times and unfair to my family/friends/colleagues, so can anyone recommend a company that would collect and deliver to Dublin? One that would give the car the once-over would be good. Anyone have an idea of cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ brucky

You still looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭ SmartinMartin

No, thanks brucky. David Mackey transport looking after me. So far so good, really helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,852 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

What you get and how much for the transport to Dublin?

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

I'll wait till it arrives unkel, but €400 with paperwork and a very helpful attitude so far. it would have cost me 3 if I had travelled, so well worth it.

That’s cheaper than I’ve just paid for an enclosed transporter.

• Advertisement

Enclosed?

Has a fibreglass, or canvas canopy around it to keep it clean and dry.

Ah, pure luxury. Mine is travelling economy, via car transporter.

Yeh but you got a good price. Be certain to get the required paperwork from the driver to show proof of the importation date for revenue/reg etc, it’s probably not your first rodeo. Did you buy a classic or modern?

An 89 190e. Proof of carriage for VRT and vat included in price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 58,852 CMod ✭✭✭✭ unkel

Pretty decent price. I like the road trips myself bringing cars in but you wouldn't do it for the money savings (that said, I did bring a car in a few years ago for only a touch over €100 for flight, ferry and expenses but that was exceptionally cheap). And in these COVID times probably a safer solution not to travel abroad for the moment if you can avoid it.

"Wind is Ireland's oil" - An Taoiseach, 25/05/2022

Nice car love Mercs, I have an old 300se, enjoy.

unkel wrote: »
    Pretty decent price. I like the road trips myself bringing cars in but you wouldn't do it for the money savings (that said, I did bring a car in a few years ago for only a touch over €100 for flight, ferry and expenses but that was exceptionally cheap). And in these COVID times probably a safer solution not to travel abroad for the moment if you can avoid it.

This, unkel. I love the spins back, I've done it with bike and car. Nothing like the breacon beacons and up over snowdonia on a sunny day, but in this climate it's just not worth it.

Advertisement