Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going back to your hairdresser or changing salon?

Options
  • 02-07-2020 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago my hairdresser asked clients to email for appointments so I emailed in requesting cut and colour. Today I got a call offering me a cut. I haven't had colour done for nearly 6 months. It isn't dire but I haven't gone without colour for this long for 15 years! When my hair is freshly washed it doesn't look like I need much colour at all. Even so I'd have liked a little pick-me-up after lockdown.

I was also a bit annoyed because as well as no colour I didn't get offered my usual stylist (I've been with the salon since she opened it) and only got offered the cut. This week and last week there have been influencers all over her instagram saying how delighted they are with their colour, extensions, olaplex, you name it. My appointment is in a few weeks time but I'm just a pleb that puts pictures of cats, dogs and horses on instagram.

There are other reasons I'm annoyed with the salon as well but I won't go into it here. I think a lot of us will be changing our hairdresser now for various reasons - increased cost and how we were treated when salons were open despite loyal custom over the years. Am I unreasonable to be annoyed considering hairdressers have had to make a lot of changes due to Covid-19?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Emme wrote: »
    A few weeks ago my hairdresser asked clients to email for appointments so I emailed in requesting cut and colour. Today I got a call offering me a cut. I haven't had colour done for nearly 6 months. It isn't dire but I haven't gone without colour for this long for 15 years! When my hair is freshly washed it doesn't look like I need much colour at all. Even so I'd have liked a little pick-me-up after lockdown.

I was also a bit annoyed because as well as no colour I didn't get offered my usual stylist (I've been with the salon since she opened it) and only got offered the cut. This week and last week there have been influencers all over her instagram saying how delighted they are with their colour, extensions, olaplex, you name it. My appointment is in a few weeks time but I'm just a pleb that puts pictures of cats, dogs and horses on instagram.

There are other reasons I'm annoyed with the salon as well but I won't go into it here. I think a lot of us will be changing our hairdresser now for various reasons - increased cost and how we were treated when salons were open despite loyal custom over the years. Am I unreasonable to be annoyed considering hairdressers have had to make a lot of changes due to Covid-19?

I'd be annoyed but I'd give them a chance. They might have been in a panic and just trying to get as many people through as possible and weren't actually looking properly at what they offered people, particularly long standing customers. Can you call them and say that you can see plenty of people are being offered colour, and as someone who has been loyal since the salon opened you're a bit upset that no option to have your colour done has been offered even for a later date, and you aren't booked in with your usual stylist. Maybe say you wouldn't have minded waiting another week or two if it meant getting your normal colour and cut done with your usual stylist, and is there any time at which they can offer that?

It does seem like really poor treatment. My salon phoned me out of the blue a couple of weeks ago to ask if I wanted an appointment and I got one for next week with my usual stylist for my full colour and cut. If your salon aren't willing to do anything at all re: stylist and colour, despite having plenty of time for influencers, then yeah I'd cancel the appointment and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I don't think you're being unreasonable but that doesn't really matter- what matters is it's your money and if you're not happy with the treatment, then yeah you're well within your rights to go elsewhere. I'm sure there's plenty or salons who would be happy with your custom

I've no time for people who court influencers. They're the ones who probably spend the least anyway as they usually get freebies

Did you ask about the colour on the call out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

If you asked for colour and cut they should give you a time slot that accommodates what you're asking for. You're paying for the service. Have they got a no colour policy? Did they mention anything about this to you? would there be a chance they made a mistake or misread your email? Id query it and if they refuse to give you a colour without reasonable explanation, id go elsewhere for the time being.

Personally ill be changing hairstylist. I love how she washes and cuts my hair but her attitude is horrendous, it's a very uncomfortable 40 minutes to an hour of my life every month that I wont miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think you've every right to be annoyed. If you were already unhappy with them then this looks like a good time to go elsewhere. I would absolutely understand a delay, and even if it was a very long or technical service they weren't offering (extensions or 12 week blowdry etc). But a basic colour? No, that's not good enough.

I will be changing hairdresser because the salon is in the city centre. I don't drive and public transport is just a no go for the forseeable. I need a local salon. I was very happy with the girl who has done it for a few years now, but it's just not going to work anymore.

I get my colour done every 5 weeks usually. It has not been done since December! I need a patch test to start again. I also had a reaction (mild but still..) to a box dye patch test a month ago, so that's a big concern now.

I haven't looked for anywhere new yet. I figure I'll leave it a few weeks more while everywhere is catching up. There's a branch of each of two major chains locally. Strangely one of the chains has no information about reopening on any of their online pages, beyond an initial welcoming of the decision to allow early reopening. I'm thinking of going there, but I haven't phoned yet. Everywhere else has lots of info on their social media pages, so it seems a little strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I think change if you want to change... but my first question is did you actually mention any of this to them when they offered you the appointment for a cut?

I don't see the probelm with saying "I want an appointment with X for cut and colour" and if they can't give you that, I'd tell them in no uncertain terms that you're taking your business elsewhere. No harm in mentioning that their influencer marketing is actively putting you off - the role of marketing is to gain new customers, but if they're prioritising marketing activity (ie giving free services to influencers instead of giving those appointments to paying customers) then they're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I can do my own hair.

I won't be going back until they are able to offer the service I want. I understand that they can't do everything now. That's fine.

I will be bleaching it this week. That will last at least 4 /6 weeks. I have olaplex too.

I will go back to them when they can do it. I am sure they understand too that I as i can do my own color etc there is not much point going to them until they are in a place to do it.

It works out best for both of us.

But saying that my salon doesn't put one kind of client above another. They treat the older lady getting her set and the influencer both the same. I like that.

Advertisement