Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biscuits for Tirimasu

Options
  • 02-07-2020 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

Which supermarkets stock the finger biscuits (not sponge fingers) for tirimasu. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

gooner99 wrote: »
    Which supermarkets stock the finger biscuits (not sponge fingers) for tirimasu. Thanks.

Have seen the lady finger biscuits for these in both Lidl and Tesco. Can't recall seeing them in Aldi.

Below are the version stocked in Lidl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sondey-Savoiardi-Ladyfingers-British-Packages/dp/B07956GRNZ

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Space Dog

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've bought them in Dunnes a few times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Thanks all. Loads of options. I did read that some are sponge fingers even though they are branded lady finger biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

Like other sponge cakes, ladyfingers traditionally contain no chemical leavening agent, and rely on air incorporated into the eggs for their "sponge" texture. Wikipedia

Ladyfingers are sponge biscuits. But I know what you mean, you want ones that are crunchy until you pour the coffee on to them, not ones that you'd use for a trifle.

• Advertisement

Yes that's right. Crunchy instead of spongy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

I make a good bit of tiramisu and have found the lidl version are so hard that I had to make holes in them with a wooden skewer or they simply wouldn't soak the coffee sufficiently at all. Once I have this batch used up I won't be buying those ones again anyway!

Thanks for the heads up. Had panned to get them in Lidl Tomorrow, as it's handy. But we happened to be in Mr Price Today, so got some there. Fingers crossed [pardon the pun].

gooner99 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Had panned to get them in Lidl Tomorrow, as it's handy. But we happened to be in Mr Price Today, so got some there. Fingers crossed [pardon the pun].

Used the Mr Price fingers. They were the biscuit type. Got a thumps up from my taste testers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

Best recipe? Must use eggs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭phormium

I used to make it with the egg custard sort of base but the quality of the mascarpone has become too thin in my opinion, the standard supermarket ones anyway and I was finding the mix never set back into a state where you could cut out a portion, was more like a soft trifle! Then I experimented with just cream and mascarpone and whipped both together rather than folding in the whipped cream like in my original recipe, that worked but was too firm/dense for my liking. The latest try was whip the cream and mascarpone together until thick and fold in a stiffly beaten egg white. This lightened it to my taste and it still set as such.

I still prefer the original recipe with the whisked egg/sugar base but it just doesn't work for me anymore, need a firmer mascarpone!

Advertisement