Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Educational Requirements - irish army?

Options
  • 01-07-2020 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

Hi everyone. A friend of mine's son wants to join the Irish army. He has been faffing about unemployed since he sat his Leaving Cert in 2019 thinking about what to do. He got 50 points. No interest in education. He is reasonably fit but not outstandingly so.

I know there is no set educational requirement for joining the army, but is it likely he would get in? I feel a bit doubtful. I don't want to be bad about it but I don't think it's possible to only get 50 points in the LC without purposefully trying to do so badly. He just did not even turn up for some exams. My friend is dead set that her son will get in, get a house down the Curragh, and be set. I don't know much about the army but what do people here think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Borderland

Hi everyone. A friend of mine's son wants to join the Irish army. He has been faffing about unemployed since he sat his Leaving Cert in 2019 thinking about what to do. He got 50 points. No interest in education. He is reasonably fit but not outstandingly so.

I know there is no set educational requirement for joining the army, but is it likely he would get in? I feel a bit doubtful. I don't want to be bad about it but I don't think it's possible to only get 50 points in the LC without purposefully trying to do so badly. He just did not even turn up for some exams. My friend is dead set that her son will get in, get a house down the Curragh, and be set. I don't know much about the army but what do people here think?

He’s going to need to explain to the Interview Board and the Recruiting Officer that he has the right mentality for the army and that he possesses a sufficient standard of education for service in the Defence Forces. There aren’t any educational requirements for a reason, so it’s not as much of a factor as you might think. Obviously not attending exams is a red flag which may need to be explained further as it doesn’t demonstrate a lot of self discipline. He’ll need to think very carefully about how he is going to deal with those sort of questions about why he effectively gave up on his education and why he wouldn’t do the same with the army.

I know from speaking to people in Recruitment that there are still good numbers applying for the Defence Forces (despite the media attention) and that even the enlisted route is competitive.

Wishing him every success though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

He certainly won't be getting a house either way, so if that's the proposed career path, they'd want to think again. Living in accommodation is going to be limited to a dorm type room, likely shared with other soldiers. As for the educational requirements, there aren't any as such, but as already said, it might highlight a lack of motivation and commitment that doesn't sit well at interview, particularly given he's been unemployed for over a year through a period where for the most part the state was at full employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 private89

My brother got called for the fitness test and interview there last week so was looking through the info and it all came back to me. As well as the fitness test and the aptitudes that he would have to get through the interview is about competencies. The three are Working Under Pressure, Motivation and Teamwork and you have to have 3 examples of those so he would have to have something prepared for those.

But no Leaving Cert is no problem as such. There are lads with no LC and a few who have been to college so it takes all sort. Think it's more about the attitude really. Its pretty much all young lads and they know alot haven't been brilliant at everything in life but if he can show them he really wants it and they think he will fit in he will get a decent chance.

Oh yeah and no chance of a house - form room is a s good as it gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

He got 50 points. No interest in education. He is reasonably fit but not outstandingly so.

I know there is no set educational requirement for joining the army, but is it likely he would get in? I feel a bit doubtful.

The Army do require a minimum education for a very good reason. You need a minimum IQ of 80. After that you go into (no offense intended) "McNamaras' Morons" territory. Its a real thing. If he couldnt be motivated to get out of bed for the LC, he wont be motivated to get out of bed for his training corporal. He would be better off flipping burgers at Maccy D's. The Army will let you know very quickly what is good enough and what isnt. If they dont throw you out soon enough they wont renew your contract.

If he wants to get in he better be bringing something more serious to the table like at least inter club hurling/football/something similar that shows he works well in a team. The worst thing you can do after the Leaving Cert is nothing. After November this year the economy will collapse and thing are going to get very tight like 1930's. A 50 point Leaving cert with extra curricular activity screams no motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sprogs085

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon. Due to Covid I did psychometric testing first and passed then last week did fitness and interview which I did well in. They emailed me a link for Garda vetting which I filled in as did other lads. They got their date for medical and I haven’t heard anything is that me finished or do the let you know either way thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement