Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Start up voltage

• 30-06-2020 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ phester28

I've pulled the trigger on a dual 4 x 300 east 3 x 300w. The max i can fit on my roof. The installer has speced a solis 2.5kWh 4g mini inverter.

On my east string using NOCT standards of 800w/m2 irradiance ,my voltage will drop below startup voltage. 800mw is prob all that you would expect on a non glorious sunny day if not even lower on a overcast Summer day. Should I be looking at a smaller inverter. I see the non mini Solis has a startup of 60v

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭ quentingargan

phester28 wrote: »
    I've pulled the trigger on a dual 4 x 300 east 3 x 300w. The max i can fit on my roof. The installer has speced a solis 2.5kWh 4g mini inverter.

On my east string using NOCT standards of 800w/m2 irradiance ,my voltage will drop below startup voltage. 800mw is prob all that you would expect on a non glorious sunny day if not even lower on a overcast Summer day. Should I be looking at a smaller inverter. I see the non mini Solis has a startup of 60v
    The Mini only has one MPPT, so if you are using two orientations, you will need a dual MPPT (non-mini) anyhow. I imagine the suggestion of a 2.5 mini is a typo. Or else the installer could use a 2.5 mini with optimisers on all panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ phester28

The installer is adamint it's a mini dual string. Startup at 90v mppt down to 80v. I'm nervous on a cloudy day it wont run.

I know the non mini will run at 60v startup but he says there is no stock of these. From the uk prices for the non mini are a bit more too. It's hard to get exact specs of the inverter range as they just have added to their range over the last few years

phester28 wrote: »
    The installer is adamint it's a mini dual string. Startup at 90v mppt down to 80v. I'm nervous on a cloudy day it wont run.

I know the non mini will run at 60v startup but he says there is no stock of these. From the uk prices for the non mini are a bit more too. It's hard to get exact specs of the inverter range as they just have added to their range over the last few years
    I learn new things every day, but I can't find a mini dual-mppt. What brand are you looking at? If there one, 90v should be ok for 3 panels, depending on their specs. It is mostly current that falls in low light. Voltage is usually over 30 if there is anything worth harvesting

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ phester28

Just to update. Installer has confirmed that it is indeed solis-1p2.5k-4g so I should have no issue with the 3 panel facing east. Startup voltage is 60V for this inverter.

I wonder what to expect peak performance in summer. Would 70 percent be my max due to east 4 x 300 and east 3 x 300.

They say the panels are amerisolar 300 but have not given a mode number so not sure the exact specs for the panel yet

I dont think solis interface will tell me what is consumed vs exported so I may only find out produced power.

They will probably be 310w panels. According to DEAP calculations, you would get about 1538 kwhrs/yr. The real figure will probably be better, but depends on whether you are in the sunny south-east, or the north-west

• Advertisement
Advertisement