Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAP transitional Payments to continue for two years?

Options
  • 30-06-2020 5:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

With the new government in place, I have yet to find their position on continuing convergence of CAP payments or stick with the Fianna Gael position of placing the convergence of payments on hold until 2022.

I'm biased as we have a lot of acres with low payment but wondering if anyone was aware of the current status.

I can see both sides of the coin.

I believe the Greens and Fianna Fail were for the continuation of the transition prior to the election.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Iirc, any changes will be postponed until the new EU budget is finalised which could be a couple of months yet. Currently there's a small cut to our CAP budget but some of the parties in government have promised in their election promises to top up any shortfall.

And then there are a number of members in the EU parliament looking for a large cut in the CAP budget and more looking for an increase in the budget to cater for the increased requirements being considered as part of the revised CAP plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Thanks Buford,

What I would like to find out will be the current governments policy.
    I saw Luke Ming Flanagan on the independent talking about it yesterday.

There's a 2 year rollover of CAP just agreed.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/details-emerge-of-2-year-cap-transition/

The can is just kicked down the road for a little while with this agreement as the positions of the different factions aren't likely to change much and the new budget still has to be agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

There's a 2 year rollover of CAP just agreed.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/details-emerge-of-2-year-cap-transition/

The can is just kicked down the road for a little while with this agreement as the positions of the different factions aren't likely to change much and the new budget still has to be agreed.

Does that mean Glas is extended for 2 years.

TPF2012 wrote: »
    Does that mean Glas is extended for 2 years.

If I'm reading it right, GLAS can be extended for the period up to the start of the new CAP at the end of next year.

But that will have to be agreed by the Government and EU, I would imagine. I can't see either objecting, it would look poor going by all the promises on biodiversity they're after making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

I assume an extension to your Glas contract would be optional and not compulsory for the Farmer. Farmers may not have control of land beyond the 5 years of the original contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Tileman

TPF2012 wrote: »
    I assume an extension to your Glas contract would be optional and not compulsory for the Farmer. Farmers may not have control of land beyond the 5 years of the original contract.

Presume so. You’ve completed your contract that you signed up to. I assume they want to keep it open for people or they will shouting about dropping €5k of Glas money.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

GLAS seems to be being extended to 2021.

For farmers who started GLAS in 2015, does this mean payments for GLAS will be paid in December 2020 and 2021? (i.e. are GLAS payments paid in advance?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,225 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Earnshaw wrote: »

For farmers who started GLAS in 2015, does this mean payments for GLAS will be paid in December 2020 and 2021? (i.e. are GLAS payments paid in advance?)

No GLAS is paid at the end of the year for which the measures are done for. Most contracts are for slightly over 5 years. Participants got paid in December the first year for part of a year and for each full year after that.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭tanko

Earnshaw wrote: »

Where are you seeing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Advertisement