Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro SSD and RAM upgrade help.

Options
  • 29-06-2020 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Hope you can help guys and this is the right thread.

My father has a mid-2012 MacBook Pro. He upgraded to the latest Mac OS Catalina. His laptop was struggling since this so I told him I would upgrade his RAM and switch him to an SSD. I did this with my MacBook and had no issues but I can't upgrade to OS Catalina, I only have High Sierra.

So firstly I changed the RAM to at least get his computer to respond. That went fine and sped up the laptop considerably already.

Then I used Super-duper to make a carbon copy of his HDD to the new SSD 1TB. It said the SSD had to be formatted to APFS so I did that and started the copy. Again all seemed to go fine with this and it finished saying bootable etc....

So I installed the new SSD in the MacBook went to boot up and it gets to about 75% of the bar loaded and just crashes.

I had read that sometimes the old SATA cable might need to be changed due to the higher capacity drive. I did this and still have the same issue.

When I start the computer in recovery and go to disk utility and click on info it says: Bootable "No".

Can any help me with this. As I said I did it no problem with my own MacBook Pro. Only difference was I put in a 500GB hard drive to my MacBook and I'm putting a 1TB into my father's.

Would a clean install over the internet solve the booting issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Try imaging the drive with dd in a different machine (both his hdd and new ssd connected to some other machine)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Strangely enough, I started the computer in recovery. Said install operating system from the internet. It was doing that and then just booted up the laptop. Very strange but the laptop is booting now.

Advertisement