Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log splitter purchase advice

Options
  • 29-06-2020 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to purchase a cheap log splitter.

I cut a lot of trees around my home it's a huge project and last year I damaged my arm tennis elbow from chopping timber for one day constantly and it never recovered.

Can anyone recommend a cheap log splitter for home use?

I'm planning on spending 2-300 Euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Have you a tractor? Cheap might end up costing you the most. Make sure it is 2-hand operation and ideally should be CE marked.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I'm looking to purchase a cheap log splitter.

I cut a lot of trees around my home it's a huge project and last year I damaged my arm tennis elbow from chopping timber for one day constantly and it never recovered.

Can anyone recommend a cheap log splitter for home use?

I'm planning on spending 2-300 Euro

just hire one out

your looking at 1000E for a safe decent one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Have you a tractor? Cheap might end up costing you the most. Make sure it is 2-hand operation and ideally should be CE marked.

No tractor I'm not a farmer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Im based in Midlands I've been inquiring in Tullamore today about hire and I'm told they can't be hired anymore because of insurance high risk.

Chainsaws have gone the same way now. Can't be hired. Ask around locally. Some local farmer might have one.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Might be simpler to hire a lad in to split for day with his own tractor etc. ok costs a few pound but would be worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Don't know about a cheap log splitter but when I had tennis elbow I found this and it worked for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKGbqA9aNo

it takes a few days but it works just do it slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I’ve never used one but maybe an electric log splitter might do the job for you, something like the one on this website

https://jebbtools.ie/collections/log-splitters

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭roosterman71

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Im based in Midlands I've been inquiring in Tullamore today about hire and I'm told they can't be hired anymore because of insurance high risk.

Would you hire someone with one to do it for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

At 200 to 300 you're looking at a good quality top end hatchet and a set of wedges.. buy a decent petrol engine one for between 1100 to 1500. But if you're hell bent on only spending 200 you'll end up with someone else's piece of crap.. a decent ram alone could cost 150 ..minimum..then add an engine..a valve control chest..pipework etc..
    Long story short you need to add an extra digit to your original budget..we all love a bargain but your budget is way off.. maybe hiring would be best
    Ok..only spotted that you cannot hire one..well its either get a contractor to split or. Talk to hartnetts in donoughmore in cork..but electric is very weak and will only work on small 8 to 10 inch diameter logs..I've a petrol 9 ton splitting force one and can manage 30 inch logs.. huge difference don't waste money on something that won't do the job... you need to increase your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Cut four huge spruce trees a few weeks ago. They had been leaning a bit precarious near public road, so had to go.
    Cut them up Into logs over a week.
    Started splitting with one of those mauls last Wednesday evening. One hour spurts when I got into the mood. Finished the lot last night. I had been thinking of spendin €€ on a splitter, but to be honest they are hard to justify unless you are splitting stuff to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Cut four huge spruce trees a few weeks ago. They had been leaning a bit precarious near public road, so had to go.
    Started splitting with one of those mauls last Wednesday evening. One hour spurts when I got into the mood. Finished the lot last night. I had been thinking of spendin €€ on a splitter, but to be honest they are hard to justify unless you are splitting stuff to sell.

fresh timber is easy enough to split and spruce would not be full of knots

Invested in a Hand Engineering splitter and you would get through a power of timber in a few hours. Splitting hardwood to approx. size of a bag of sugar im well able to split 4-5 m3 an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,887 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Hiring a long splitter for 35e a day here. 2-3 days should see us split up enough for 2 winters for 2 houses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Did you try a log grenade. Going to invest in one myself going on the reviews on screen fix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Did you try a log grenade. Going to invest in one myself going on the reviews on screen fix

Way better than a wedge - I bought a log grenade in Aldi some time ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Fluppen

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but thought it would be better than starting a new one as I have a very similar question.
    In the past I always split my logs with an axe or maul, the diameter of the logs varies depending on what needs to be cleared from the ditch. I've attached pictures of the biggest logs I'd be doing. My back can't take the manual splitting anymore so I'm looking at options. I can rent a petrol powered one nearby for 70 per day but I prefer doing bits and pieces rather than spending a day at it. Has anyone found a good splitter which is safe or sturdy at a reasonable price or are the only good options around a 1000 as mentioned earlier. Are these foot jobbies (link below) any use at all, even for the small logs so I don't have to rent unless there are big logs to do ? I'd be happy to spend 400 on a decent splitter but any more and I think renting is the better option. I've attached pictures of the biggest logs I'm likely to have. https://www.independentshop.ie/garden/power-tools-and-equipment/foot-operated-log-splitter/G1019?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh4j-BRCsARIsAGeV12BWhIGAkW7OOm2nathlN2QFucIFJCsRVJx8kqWbmyTqaQv7X7dt_KQaAnjSEALw_wcB#fo_c=3569&fo_k=51481d1b15c55db74d34f9834cdbd89c&fo_s=gplaie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,107 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Fluppen wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but thought it would be better than starting a new one as I have a very similar question.
    In the past I always split my logs with an axe or maul, the diameter of the logs varies depending on what needs to be cleared from the ditch. I've attached pictures of the biggest logs I'd be doing. My back can't take the manual splitting anymore so I'm looking at options. I can rent a petrol powered one nearby for 70 per day but I prefer doing bits and pieces rather than spending a day at it. Has anyone found a good splitter which is safe or sturdy at a reasonable price or are the only good options around a 1000 as mentioned earlier. Are these foot jobbies (link below) any use at all, even for the small logs so I don't have to rent unless there are big logs to do ? I'd be happy to spend 400 on a decent splitter but any more and I think renting is the better option. I've attached pictures of the biggest logs I'm likely to have. https://www.independentshop.ie/garden/power-tools-and-equipment/foot-operated-log-splitter/G1019?gclid=Cj0KCQiAh4j-BRCsARIsAGeV12BWhIGAkW7OOm2nathlN2QFucIFJCsRVJx8kqWbmyTqaQv7X7dt_KQaAnjSEALw_wcB#fo_c=3569&fo_k=51481d1b15c55db74d34f9834cdbd89c&fo_s=gplaie

I had to give in to buyng a logsplitter 2years ago. As someone else said an axe is much quicker but age will decide for you.
    I have a tractor and bought a tractor splitter so I'm no good to you as it cost over a thousand, but you should really see one working before you buy as there's some rubbishy ones out there

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

https://jebbtools.ie/products/6-ton-horizontal-electric-log-splitter?_pos=23&_sid=6187c90ac&_ss=r

I bought this one and happy with it so far, splits seasoned logs up to about 20inches no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Aravo

Have one here from Moyvalley engineering. Its the one that splits at waist height. Have it 7 years. Saw all of them at ploughing one year and thought this was the best and very well built. Still working fine. Also the ram height can be adjusted to cater for longer logs when they arise. Nothing spent on it since I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Heard it noted that the vertical splitter could burst a log and get you in the stomach unlike the horizontal one which wouldnt, no Personal experience of this tho.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Heard it noted that the vertical splitter could burst a log and get you in the stomach unlike the horizontal one which wouldnt, no Personal experience of this tho.

The lumps fly alright but they always go left and right on the vertical splitter

wrangler wrote: »
    The lumps fly alright but they always go left and right

Yea with the lay out of wedge that's true.
    But any chance if the was heavy awkward nuts would one fly forwards into the person?

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Yea with the lay out of wedge that's true.
    But any chance if the was heavy awkward nuts would one fly forwards into the person?

Never seen it happen and split a lot of awkward **** of logs left by over the years when I bought the splitter first. The vertical might hit you in the stomach whereas the horizontal would probably hit you in the face

wrangler wrote: »
    Never seen it happen and split a lot of awkward **** of logs left by over the years when I bought the splitter first. The vertical might hit you in the stomach whereas the horizontal would probably hit you in the face

Aw well you've the experience, valid points to mull over. Thanks

Advertisement