Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you receive sex-ed in your school?

Options
  • 28-06-2020 7:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I only learned recently that it's not uncommon for many not to receive sex-ed in primary/secondary school. I'm 22 and only learned one thing for a day during 6th class regarding the penis and vagina.

The next time I learned anything was in SPHE in 3rd year. Apart from that, nothing. Didn't get anything from my parents as well.

I've heard it's more common for men to go without any talk from parents/schools and not women for the simple reason is that women bear a much greater burden when it comes to sex (std's and pregnancy).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You didn't get a copy of boys talk from your parents, that's pretty uncool.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nothing. Reproduction section was skipped in junior cert biology as well.

We did ours every 4th week in place of religion, but the same priest took both classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Good man Feg…
    Another new angle to get a sex topic going …..

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Aside from Thursday being my turn in the barrel, not really, no. I hated that barrel. And fuckin' Thursdays...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

greenspurs wrote: »
    Good man Feg…
    Another new angle to get a sex topic going …..

He has escaped from AH to ply his deviant trade among the other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The only sex ed I got was the reproduction chapter in Leaving Cert biology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

First year, as part of Religion class, from a Nun.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I only learned recently that it's not uncommon for many not to receive sex-ed in primary/secondary school. I'm 22 and only learned one thing for a day during 6th class regarding the penis and vagina.

The next time I learned anything was in SPHE in 3rd year. Apart from that, nothing. Didn't get anything from my parents as well.

I've heard it's more common for men to go without any talk from parents/schools and not women for the simple reason is that women bear a much greater burden when it comes to sex (std's and pregnancy).

When were you in 6th Class? In Tanazania? In Atlanta? In Ireland? What age? Cause I had a quick scan of your posts and in the last month you've claimed you are 19, 20, 22

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CMCXCV

I had a very similar expierence OP. We had one chat in 6th class in primary school and watched a movie(cartoon) to help explain it to us better, maybe last 2 hours or so not a full day anyway. It was also up to the parents choice if their kids could watch it. So some children didn't even learn about it.

The next time it was brought up was in SPHE in like 5th or 6th year, in which one of the teachers brought in a box of contraception such as the coil and condoms etc and explained them to us. We had a few mentions about it from 1st year to 5th year but wasn't anything major now. My parents also never gave me the talk and pretty much led me to having to google anything about the topic when I got my first Girlfriend at 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

We had an odd mix of very frank and useful sex education classes throughout my senior years (all male school, ran by priests) which ended with lectures on why abortion/masturbation/etc was evil.

And of course, there were some of the priests giving private 'practical' sex education classes to selected students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Outside agency came to school in 6th class to talk about reproduction, puberty and hygiene.

Was supposed to be sex education but apart talking about sperm creation that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

parents gave us the talk, causal and easy going we were just becoming teenagers so there was zero embarrassment.

Aside from reproduction section of biology, no. We had a woman come into us one day to talk to us about STDs, that was the extent of my sex-ed in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

First day of our Biology lesson on the subject and the teacher whips out a condom, blows it up and let's it fly around the room.

I'll have to mention it wasn't an Irish school ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Men catch STD's too or did you not know that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

None whatsoever, but we had an utterly bizarre module in transition year about how to have a good marriage. It was like advice for a very boring & extremely religious middle aged couple about open communication and “bringing Jesus into your marriage!”

We didn’t even seem to pay much attention to it in biology. Although I had an absolutely terrible biology teacher who couldn’t even pronounce half the terms and I went from being someone who had huge interest in science (and still do) to having zero interest and dreading biology, a dry learn by rote subject. The same applied to chemistry - we didn’t even do any lab work, and faked all of our logs by transcribing them. Physics was also painfully boring and lacking practicals.

In general, a dreadful school with an overinflated view of itself. Not sure what we really learnt other than how to reverse engineer Leaving Cert sample papers.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sort of, we were told not to use condoms by the religion teacher. (this was 1999 or 2000)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Men catch STD's too or did you not know that?

True but womens biology means that they're more likely to catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

All my education was in England during the 70s and 80s so probably a bit of a different experience than Irish schools at the time.

We weren't taught anything about sex in Primary, but got the basics in Biology in Secondary school. I remember it being very boring, a very mechanical explanation of the physical act with nothing about the emotional side of sex at all. Think it was one lesson only.

We did have another class when we were maybe 15 or so, similar to SPHE here I think, that dealt with the sort of grown-ups issues we might be facing in our adult lives. The teacher at the time (a very attractive woman!) did that American type thing where she asked us to write any question at all on an anonymous piece of paper and drop it into a box. She told us we could ask anything at all and that she'd answer perfectly honestly.

So when it came to her pulling out questions, the first one happened to be mine. I'd asked something along the lines of "Do you think the IRA are freedom fighters and heroes?" She spent the next 10-15 minutes absolutely ranting about how she hated the IRA and what she'd like to see happen to them. Everyone knew it was my question as I was, not surprisingly, the only Republican in this school in the middle of rural Derbyshire.

Looking back on it, I wish I'd asked her something along the lines of "Do you take it up the ar$e?" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

My sex-ed consisted of a video which showed pictures of penises for 20 minutes, and then it showed a glimpse of a vagina for a split second and it was all over. The lads in the class felt a bit cheated.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Same as a few others I got none except for the labelled diagram in junior cert biology.

But in terms of contraception, pregnancy, std's etc I got nothing at all. And this isn't too long ago - I'm still in my 20s (just about).

The closest thing we had was the teacher who used take religion classes had a poster on the wall saying Save Sex for Marriage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

99nsr125 wrote: »
    Nothing

Oh yeah but we did see the

'Abortion video' when we were 14, ffs

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

All I got was the reproduction section of biology. "Fertilization occurs when the man puts his erect penis in the woman's vagina". That was it. The vast majority of my sex education I got as a child was through reading my sisters Sugar magazines!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

In sixth class we had to get a letter from our parents to allow us to stay back one special day after school and Sister would teach us the facts of life. Only a small percentage of us got the letters and I felt quite lucky to be among those about to be let in on the arcane knowledge.
    It started off very gently, love and stuff, but within 10 minutes the whole thing went to hell as one of the girl's mothers had turned up to battle with Sister about some discipline issue that she had problems with. This was a mother from a fairly rough part of town and she was a howler. So Sister and mother screamed at each other in the corridor, the girls got very giddy and obstreperous inside the classroom, and I was left sitting, completely unnoticed amid the mayhem, in deep, deep shock, murmuring to myself - ''There is a third hole!? :eek:!!??'' I genuinely had not up until that moment known of its existence. It was akin to suddenly learning that aliens had invaded planet earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Hermes Trismegistus

Not a slither of it; had to work it all out myself through multiple embarassing fumbling abouts with ex'es before I eventually worked it out.
    I went to primary school from 1999-2004, so maybe things are different now - but as aforementioned, not a single syllable of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Gruffalox wrote: »
    In sixth class we had to get a letter from our parents to allow us to stay back one special day after school and Sister would teach us the facts of life. Only a small percentage of us got the letters and I felt quite lucky to be among those about to be let in on the arcane knowledge.
    It started off very gently, love and stuff, but within 10 minutes the whole thing went to hell as one of the girl's mothers had turned up to battle with Sister about some discipline issue that she had problems with. This was a mother from a fairly rough part of town and she was a howler. So Sister and mother screamed at each other in the corridor, the girls got very giddy and obstreperous inside the classroom, and I was left sitting, completely unnoticed amid the mayhem, in deep, deep shock, murmuring to myself - ''There is a third hole!? :eek:!!??'' I genuinely had not up until that moment known of its existence. It was akin to suddenly learning that aliens had invaded planet earth.
    Nothing wrong with your vocabulary anyway. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    First year, as part of Religion class, from a Nun.

I went to a co-ed community school in the late 70's and a similar situation, a nun in religon class. God love the poor woman, I'd say she had read about sex in a book just before the class. She was quite matter of fact about it but her downfall was that she passed a shoebox around the class and we could write our questions on a piece of paper and put them in the box to avoid any embarrassment and she would answer them. Needless to say this didn't go well as it was open season on her.

• Advertisement
Advertisement