Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bay/Box Window front of house planning Permission

Options
  • 28-06-2020 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi All,

I want to add a bay/box window to the front of my house. I spoke with the planning office in Cork and they said I will require planning permission for this work.

Is anyone able to provide a quote for this as I will need drawings maps etc and require an agent to act on my behalf. If someone can recommend someone in the Cork area that would be great.

Is it best to get an agent or could I do it my self with pre-planning meetings with the planner before I apply.

Thanks,
    Trevor

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Your looking at 1000€ For planning submission.

House elevations, plans, site plan, maps, add in paper, Cover letter, application form, 34€ Fee, 6 copies, submitted to council.

Separate fee for design/tender/construction/planning sign-off

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

BryanF wrote: »
    Your looking at 1000€ For planning submission.

House elevations, plans, site plan, maps, add in paper, Cover letter, application form, 34€ Fee, 6 copies, submitted to council.

Separate fee for design/tender/construction/planning sign-off
    I just had a quote from a planning engineer guy he said €1800 to 2k sounds a lot to me for what it is, I would be delighted with €1000,

Did the eng visit? Are you on mains sewerage? What’s the age of the house and is there any other planning non-compliance’s? And is there precedence in the area, for what you want to do?

BryanF wrote: »
    Did the eng visit? Are you on mains sewerage? What’s the age of the house and is there any other planning non-compliance’s? And is there precedence in the area, for what you want to do?
    A friend gave me his number and he called to my house, I am on the mains system, house is around 17 years old, there is no other planning non compliance and my neighbor 2 doors up had a bay window and an extension on the back of the house. The neighbor across from me has done the same with a granny flat at the side, so there should be no issue with getting the planning as all I want is a bay window

Get two more quotes. Comeback and tell us how you get on.

• Advertisement

How I have received 3 quotes, 1.€1800-€2k, 2. €2.5k 3. €1K The best guy seemed to be the 1st guy, and the last guy seems to be the best option because of the price he what’s €450 for the drawings €250 for an engineer to sign it off and the rest for maps, planning in the paper etc,

I don’t get a good feel from him but I can’t pay more than that as this is very expensive for what I want to do. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

phat1 wrote: »
    How I have received 3 quotes, 1.€1800-€2k, 2. €2.5k 3. €1K The best guy seemed to be the 1st guy, and the last guy seems to be the best option because of the price he what’s €450 for the drawings €250 for an engineer to sign it off and the rest for maps, planning in the paper etc,

I don’t get a good feel from him but I can’t pay more than that as this is very expensive for what I want to do. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

€1k to provide planning drawings, newspaper etc is extremely cheap.
    Now he is saying an engineer is going to sign off the works for €250!

This would be setting alarm bells off in my head if I’m honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭who what when

€1000 is certainly a little on the cheap side considering sign off is included but given everything with Covid 19 he may be pricing competitively because he hasn't much on.

I know several architectural and engineering offices that are gone very quiet. Staff on WSS etc.

Gumbo wrote: »
    €1k to provide planning drawings, newspaper etc is extremely cheap.
    Now he is saying an engineer is going to sign off the works for €250!

This would be setting alarm bells off in my head if I’m honest.
    Nearly all the people I spoke with said even €1K is to much but I told them he was the cheapest by far. His engineer is who he work withs with giving each other jobs etc. Not sure what to do , at the end of the day it’s a bay/box window a very small job.

€1000 is certainly a little on the cheap side considering sign off is included but given everything with Covid 19 he may be pricing competitively because he hasn't much on.

I know several architectural and engineering offices that are gone very quiet. Staff on WSS etc.
    I am thinking the same that he is quite and needs the work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement