Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing to a SSD on PS4

Options
  • 27-06-2020 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having problems with downloading the latest PS4 OS to then boot up from a usb when I replace the old drive.

So I've backed up all my game data to a external drive.

But when I go to download the re-installation file https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/ no sorry it downloads ok but when I go to open it, I'm met with this error:
    c:users\house\download\ps4update (2).pup this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an association in the default apps settings page

Ive tried different browsers like Chrome, firefox and Edge on Windows 10(laptop and Desktop).

I watched a couple of vids about editing the registry on Windows but it was unsuccessful.
    Is there another way to download the Operating System to the new drive?

Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Thanks for that.

Its copying now and I will report back:)

Formatted the drive.

Created new folder PS4

Then new folder in PS4 called UPDATE

Didn't work so I formatted drive again and tried to add inverted comas:) and it wouldn't allow.

Is the route something I'm missing?

USB drive is a:
    14.5 GB
    Fat 32 default
    32 kilobytes

Tried again and no joy.

Getting error message:

" Cannot not find update file"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,847 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm pretty sure you can't do that via the external drive, you have to load the update on a USB stick first, install that and then connect the external drive after it's set up.

Thanks for all the help. Renaming the file done the trick, the file was actually all capitals but because I downloaded the file twice, it looked like this: PS4UPDATE.(2)PUP

So thanks again, I'm now back up and running.

• Advertisement
Advertisement