Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

R513 - Limerick to Mitchelstown

• 27-06-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

In a local paper there's a call for the road to be upgraded to an n road,it does seem busy at times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭steeler j

Privacy logoPrivacy
    Home

You are in: > LIMERICKLEADER > NEWS
    Limerick councillor calls for improvements to R513 'sooner, rather than later’
    Donal O'ReganDonal O'Regan19 Jul 2020Email: donal.oregan@limerickleader.ie
    Limerick councillor calls for improvements to R513 'sooner, rather than later’
    Truck in the river at a bad bend between Knocklong and Hospital in February

IF THE R513 Limerick to Mitchelstown road is busy now what will it be like when work eventually starts on the M20 and traffic is diverted?

Cllr Martin Ryan raised the issue at a Cappamore-Kilmallock municipal meeting. He put down a motion calling for the council and Department of Transport to review the heavy traffic loading on the R513; assess what improvements can be put in place and if it needs to be upgraded to national route status.

Cllr Ryan said it is the main artery through the municipal district and the main connection of Limerick and Cork outside the N20.

“Safety is a concern in parts. It is a very busy road. I put this motion down for the work to be done because when the M20 works start there are going to be a lot of diversions to the R513,” said Cllr Ryan.

Many motorists switched to the R513 due to the works and long tailbacks in Buttevant and continue to use that route since. There is also better access to Cork airport or the hospital compared to the N20.

Cllr Ryan pointed to stretch at Kilglass near Mitchelstown which has no safety barriers.

“Any mishap and you are straight down into the valley. The foundation and structure of the road between Herbertstown and Caherconlish is not good. It is subsiding and moving. There aren’t even cat’s eyes.

“If it needs to be upgraded to a national road then the TII should get involved,” said Cllr Ryan.

The Cappamore man referred to the number of accidents on the R513.

“The safety of commuters and local people using the road is a priority. Improve it sooner, rather than later,” said Cllr Ryan, who knows a thing or two about roads as he and his brothers run Martin Ryan & Sons Haulage from Cappamore.

Cllr Ger Mitchell has an auctioneering business in Hospital on the R513 and says he can “hardly cross the road” due to the volume of traffic.

He repeated his call for the M20 to be scrapped and the motorway be put in east Limerick. Cllr Mitchell argues that if you connect up to the Northern Distributor Road you improve access to UL, industrial estates, bypass Tipperary Town and connect to Cahir where there is already a motorway.

“Then go left for Dublin or right for Cork. Due to Brexit we need better connectivity with Rosslare. With the new economic climate it needs to be looked at again. It is half the cost of the M20. A feasibility should be carried out,” said Cllr Mitchell.

Cathaoirleach John Egan said there were some “desperate dangerous spots” on the R513. He called for a barrier to be erected where the school bus crash was in 2018 between Caherconlish and Herbertstown.

“Getting through Hospital can be a pure nuisance if cars are parked up on the kerb,” said Cllr Egan.

Cllr Eddie Ryan made the point that a lorry going from Foynes to Rosslare has to go through Tipperary Town.

“They are not exploring all the angles,” said Cllr Ryan.

Cllr Mike Donegan asked if he could get clarity on the numbers of vehicles using the R513 daily.

Cllr Brigid Teefy said the R513 is particularly busy with many trucks. She said this is reflected by the amount of people living in the towns and villages calling for traffic calming measures.

In reply to Cllr Martin Ryan’s motion, Brendan Kidney, senior executive engineer, said Limerick City and County Council will carry out a detailed review of the traffic loadings on the R513 Caherconlish to Mitchelstown Road, which will involve detailed traffic counts, volumes and vehicle types at several locations on the route.

“When the information is compiled, a detailed request for funding will be submitted to the Department of Transport to carry out improvement works.

“At present Limerick City and County Council have no plans to apply for upgrade of the status of the road to a national road,” said Mr Kidney.

I tried to post it as a link but not very tech savvy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

M20 construction won’t necessarily lead to increased diversions via Mitchelstown. The comparison with the Buttevant delays don’t really hold up because that project directly affected the existing N20. M20 construction will be offline.

cantalach wrote: »
    M20 construction won’t necessarily lead to increased diversions via Mitchelstown. The comparison with the Buttevant delays don’t really hold up because that project directly affected the existing N20. M20 construction will be offline.

Yes true ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Completely ridiculous for that road to be redesignated national. The n20 route picks up the majority of the traffic. Once the m20 is built, the hospital diversion will be only for those who are actually going to michelstown and surroundings.

The chancer wants a free redundant bypass

Completely ridiculous for that road to be redesignated national. The n20 route picks up the majority of the traffic. Once the m20 is built, the hospital diversion will be only for those who are actually going to michelstown and surroundings.

Once the m20 is built the only part of the road that will probably continue to be busy will be hospital to the new roundabout as most people will use the m20 and turn off at places along the route to access areas between this road and the m20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

If the M20 is built without the North Ring Road East, then I'll still be using the R513 for my Cobh - Limerick runs. It'll still be quicker than ploughing through Mayfield.

If the M20 is built without the North Ring Road East, then I'll still be using the R513 for my Cobh - Limerick runs. It'll still be quicker than ploughing through Mayfield.

Is the north ring East not guaranteed to be done with the m20?

Don't call me a chancer especially if u probably won't do it to my face ,I'm only relaying local paper talk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

steeler j wrote: »

Don't call me a chancer especially if u probably won't do it to my face ,I'm only relaying local paper talk

He’s referring to the Cllr, not you.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

2035 was the estimate given this week by the NTA for the North Ring Road.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Multi-billion-euro-Cork-transport-plan-25-Luas-stops-trams-every-5-minutes-eight-new-train-stations-1a8b9148-8f35-40f0-aac1-3ef151e72976-ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

As other posters have stated I am referring to the councillor. Read the post again.

Settle lad

As other posters have stated I am referring to the councillor. Read the post again.

Settle lad

My apologies, it looked to me as u were referring to the person who opened the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Officially, no.

Unofficially we don't know, but I'd find it hard to believe that the "M20" will start in Blackpool. I still think the route options will just happen to have it starting on the M8 near Glanmire. A little bit of sneaky sleight of hand like the Adare bypass being funded under the "Foynes Access scheme" or something like that.

I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

Officially, no.

Unofficially we don't know, but I'd find it hard to believe that the "M20" will start in Blackpool. I still think the route options will just happen to have it starting on the M8 near Glanmire. A little bit of sneaky sleight of hand like the Adare bypass being funded under the "Foynes Access scheme" or something like that.

I very much hope so, but I'd say those few extra kilometres of North Ring Road could massively inflate the costs. I doubt they'll be included.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As of now the M20 will start at the end of the N20 Cork-Blarney dual carriageway near Blarney Business Park.

The sense (or lack of) of this is another debate.

Advertisement